Pope Benedict XVI promised Wednesday that the Catholic Church would take action to confront the clerical sex abuse scandal.
The Pope's vow came during his weekly audience in St. Peter's Square, in conjunction with his first public comments on the crisis days after meeting with victims.
Benedict recounted his tearful weekend meeting in Malta with eight men who say priests abused them as children when they lived in a church-run orphanage.
"I shared with them their suffering, and emotionally prayed with them, assuring them of church action," Benedict said.
At the time of the private meeting Sunday, the Vatican issued a statement saying Benedict had told the men that the church would do everything in its power to bring justice to abusive priests and would implement "effective measures" to protect children.
Wednesday, the public heard the words from the Pope himself.
Neither Benedict nor the Vatican has elaborated on what action or measures are being considered. Various national bishops conferences have implemented norms for handling cases of priests who sodomize and molest children, none more stringent than the zero-tolerance policy the U.S. bishops adopted.
The U.S. norms bar credibly accused priests from any public church work while claims against them are investigated. Diocesan review boards, composed mostly of laypeople, help bishops oversee cases. Clergy found guilty are permanently barred from public ministry and, in some cases, ousted from the priesthood.
Last week, the Vatican issued guidelines for the first time telling bishops they should report cases of abusive priests to police where civil laws require it. Although the Vatican has insisted that has been its longtime policy, it was never written explicitly, and victims, lawyers, government-backed inquiries and grand juries have all accused the church of mounting a coverup to keep clerical abuse secret and away from civil jurisdiction.
Benedict said in a homily last week that Christians must repent for sins and recognize mistakes. Those comments were interpreted widely as concerning the scandal. But his comments Wednesday marked his first public and direct remarks on the crisis since March 20, when he wrote a letter to the Irish faithful concerning the abuse crisis in that country.
© Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.