Florida Gov. Rick Scott is taking no chances in his 2014 re-election bid if a new half a million dollar ad blitz is anything to go by.
The Republican incumbent is launching a media campaign worth $525,000 on Monday, the same day Democrat Charlie Crist is widely-expected to announce his challenge. The media buy will last two weeks and appear on television in 10 cities, a media-tracking source told Politico
Crist, who was Florida's GOP governor from 2007-2011, decided not to seek re-election in 2010 so he could run for U.S. Senate. He lost in the primary to Marco Rubio, and again in the general election after he ran as an independent.
Shortly after his defeat, Crist joined the Democratic Party and went on to support President Barack Obama’s presidential re-election bid.
Critics have characterized him as a political opportunist
Last week, Crist launched a campaign-style video and website, CharlieCrist.com, highlighting his past as governor which he called a time when "the people were in charge."
Story continues below video.
Scott, who is independently wealthy but is also fundraising for his race, told National Review recently, "I will have $25 million in the bank by the end of the year and will use it in early 2014 to define my opponent," Politico reports.
Poll: Charlie Crist Would Easily Win Florida Governor’s Race
Young's Widow to Former Fla. Gov. Crist: Don't Attend Memorial
© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.