House Speaker John Boehner issued a memo
to his GOP House Conference Thursday, extolling the party’s work so far this year.
He cited many successes saying:
• “President Obama’s strategy of using hyperbole and scare tactics to parlay sequestration into further tax increases failed.”
• “The No Budget No Pay initiative forced the Democratic majority in the Senate to pass a budget for the first time in four years.”
• “On Friday night, the Democratic-controlled Senate endorsed construction of the Keystone XL pipeline.”
• “Pressure is mounting on the Democratic majority in Washington to balance the federal budget and identify meaningful entitlement reforms they’re willing to enact.”
But Republicans also need to focus on areas that still need to be addressed, Boehner says.
• “The economy still isn’t growing as it should be growing.”
• “The national debt continues to grow.”
• “The private sector is still struggling amid policies that make it harder for individual Americans to get a high-quality education, acquire new job skills, and balance the demands of family and the workplace.”
• “The spending cuts implemented under sequestration still need to be replaced with better spending cuts that help move us to our goal of a balanced budget within the next decade."
• “The national unemployment rate remains far above the levels that were promised [by] President Obama.”
• “Five years of the Obama presidency have proven we cannot borrow and spend our way back to prosperity.”
But a solution is possible, Boehner says. “That’s why House Republicans set the goal of balancing the budget within the next decade, and have made it a top priority.”
© 2016 Newsmax. All rights reserved.