Scarborough: Washington GOP Too Focused on 1 Percent

Wednesday, 21 May 2014 11:33 AM

By Wanda Carruthers

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
Washington Republicans are too focused on the country's wealthiest 1 percent and need to concentrate on the 99 percent that makes up the rest of voters, talk show host Joe Scarborough said.

Scarborough said the 1 percent was "always going to take care of themselves," and said he didn't understand why Washington Republicans couldn't see that.

Story continues below video.



The 1 percent has "lawyers. They've got accountants. They've got consultants . . . We need to worry about the other 99 percent, " Scarborough said on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" Wednesday. "I don't understand why Republicans in Washington don't understand that."

Scarborough, a former Florida Republican congressman, said former Pennsylvania Republican Sen. Rick Santorum, a 2012 presidential candidate, was "actually onto something" with his recent emphasis on the importance of blue-collar voters to the Republican Party. Scarborough said the GOP was afraid to pursue legislation that would help those who make up the 99 percent.

Republicans "have policies that we can pursue that help working class people and middle class people. But, we're scared to get out of this rut," he said.

Scarborough said that when he ran for Congress in the 1990s, he would drive through wealthy neighborhoods and find "no 'Scarborough for Congress' bumper stickers." In contrast, when he went through neighborhoods with "pickup trucks," he would see his bumper stickers, and that told him he was "going to win."

"I knew the Democrat was going to get the really wealthy doctors and the lawyers. I knew I was going win," he said.

In addition, Republicans could prevail, Scarborough said, because Democratic donors were growing weary of giving donations to their party and not seeing results.

"There are now reports out this morning that Democratic donors are telling [President] Barack Obama's people, 'We're tired of this. We give you money. And, you guys don't do anything.' Democrats are saying that," he said.

Related Stories:

© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

RNC's Priebus Slams Wisc. Dem Gov. Candidate for Jobs Plan Fiasco

Friday, 19 Sep 2014 19:22 PM

Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus slammed Wisconsin Democratic gubernatorial candidate Mary Burke on . . .

DNC Raises $7M in August, Has $11M Banked

Friday, 19 Sep 2014 18:42 PM

The Democratic National Committee raised $7 million last month and has $11 million banked.The DNC on Friday filed its Au . . .

Former Conn. Gov. Rowland Found Guilty of Campaign Law Violations

Friday, 19 Sep 2014 15:40 PM

Former Connecticut Governor John Rowland violated U.S. election laws by taking under-the-table payments from a business  . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved