Rangel Files Paperwork for 2012 Re-election Bid

Wednesday, 16 Feb 2011 11:48 AM

 

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
    A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

NEW YORK (AP) — Congressman Charles Rangel of New York plans to run for re-election in 2012 despite his conviction on several House ethics charges.

The Democrat and dean of the state's congressional delegation filed a statement of candidacy this week with the Federal Election Commission.

Spokesman Bob Liff says Rangel did so to begin fundraising.

Rangel was convicted of 11 ethics violations. They include failure to pay some taxes and using congressional resources to raise money for an academic center bearing his name. He was censured by the House last year; that's the most serious congressional penalty short of expulsion.

Rangel cruised to re-election last year after winning a crowded Democratic primary in September.

The 80-year-old Rangel has spoken of his age, leading some to believe he would not run again.

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

National Journal: Bush, Paul, Rubio Seize Momentum as 2014 Ends

Monday, 22 Dec 2014 10:39 AM

With 2014 drawing to a close, the National Journal has analyzed the positions of a range of potential 2016 presidential  . . .

Report: Steyer, Bloomberg Topped List of 2014 Midterm Donors

Monday, 22 Dec 2014 10:00 AM

There are nine key individual donors who fueled the 2014 elections, according to a new report from the Center for Respon . . .

Top Democratic Aide Says No to Running a 2016 Hillary Campaign

Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 19:33 PM

One of the leading candidates to manage Hillary Clinton's expected campaign for U.S. president in 2016 has withdrawn fro . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved