Newsday, the newspaper that covers Long Island and New York City, endorsed
Mitt Romney for president because of his “potential to put America back to work,” calling his life “a tale of success after success, many of them achieved in difficult circumstances.”
The nation’s 13th largest newspaper backed Barack Obama in 2008. This time around, however, the paper could not do so.
“Had Barack Obama done the job of president with the same passion and vision he displayed in seeking it, he would likely deserve another term. He did not,” Newsday wrote in its editorial.
“Obama's failure to accelerate the improvement of the economy is the dominant reason Romney is the right choice, but it's not the only one,” the paper wrote. “There are also the broken promises. On the campaign trail in 2008, Obama promised to halve the annual budget deficit of the United States. Instead, the shortfall has remained over $1 trillion per year, and the national debt has increased about 45 percent.”
The paper continued its assessment of Obama’s term and listed what it viewed as failed promises.
- “Obama said he would pass comprehensive immigration reform, but he never made a significant attempt to address it.”
- “He said future generations would look back on his election as the time we began to slow the rise of the oceans and hasten the healing of the planet, yet he never introduced meaningful legislation aimed at achieving those goals.”
- “Obama promised a transparent administration but instead ran a secretive White House. And Obama promised a newfound respect for civil liberties, and yet, in an expansive reading of congressional authority to use military force, he has authorized the unilateral assassination of American citizens abroad.”
- “Obama promised to drive the unemployment rate below 6 percent in four years. It sits at 7.9 percent, just above the level when he was inaugurated.”
- “Most important, Obama promised to end the partisan divide in Washington but didn't do so.”
Obama was elected with a mandate and his party was “briefly in control of both houses of the Congress,” the paper concluded.
“Obama squandered the support of the nation. Newsday endorses Romney.”
© 2016 Newsmax. All rights reserved.