A Dominican Republic prosecutor is seeking to identify a man who allegedly set up television interviews with three women who say someone paid them to lie about having sex with Democratic U.S. Sen. Robert Menendez.
The New Jersey Senator, who chairs the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, was targeted in an attempted prostitution scandal, reports ABC News
. Jose Polanco, the public prosecutor in the city of La Romano says that he is looking for a mystery many called 'Carlos,” after the lawyer for the three women testified Thursday that the man offered $5,000 to find three women who would go along with the alleged scheme.
Latest: Should ObamaCare Be Repealed? Vote in Urgent National Poll
The attorney, Melanio Figueroa, however, has given several different statements about the incident. This time, Polanco said Figueroa claimed the man, “Carlos,” was somehow connected or worked for the conservative news website “The Daily Caller,” which first published the allegations against Menendez a few days before last year's election for the Senate seat.
Nicole Roeberg, spokesperson for The Daily Caller, denied the allegations, saying he “never worked for us, never was hired by us, was not a source that connected us to anyone in the Dominican Republic.”
ABC News said that someone named “Carlos” appears in the video it recorded last October. However, the network did not report the allegations because of doubts about their identity. But one of the women, when asked about “Carlos,” said “He says he works for a newspaper or something like that.”
Menendez has said all along the prostitution allegations were a “smear campaign” designed to implicate him in a sex scandal before the election. He is seeking a full investigation by U.S. authorities, but refuses to answer questions in person in the Dominican Republic.
© 2016 Newsmax. All rights reserved.