Report: Saudi Arabia Warned U.S. About Tamerlan Tsarnaev in 2011

Wednesday, 01 May 2013 10:56 AM

By Lisa Barron

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
Saudi Arabia last year sent the Department of Homeland Security a written warning about Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the older of the two brothers accused of the Boston Marathon bombings, according to an online report published Wednesday.

The British-based MailOnline claimed it interviewed a senior Saudi government official with direct knowledge of the document.

The unidentified official allegedly told MailOnline the warning was based on human intelligence developed in Yemen and was separate from the information Russian law enforcement officials gave to their American counterparts in 2011.

The warning “was very specific,” and indicated that “something was going to happen in a major U.S. city,” the website quoted official as saying, adding that it “did name Tamerlan specifically” although it did not name Boston or suggest a date for his planned attack.

Robbed: Secret ‘Financial War’ Will Wipe Out Your Wealth, Warns Pentagon Adviser

A Homeland Security official, however, denied the claim. “DHS has no knowledge of any communication from the Saudi government regarding information on the suspects in the Boston Marathon bombing prior to the attack,” MailOnline said.

A spokesperson for President Barack Obama’s National Security Council, Caitlin Hayden, echoed that view, telling MailOnline that “We and other relevant U.S. government agencies have no record of such a letter being received.”

MailOnline claimed that another DHS official said he had heard of the Saudi communication and that an aide to a Republican member of the House Homeland Security Committee speculated that it was “possible the Department of Homeland Security received the information from the Saudi government but never passed it on to the White House.”

The Saudi official to whom MailOnline spoke apparently suggested that the Saudi Ministry of Interior sent the letter as a precautionary measure, saying, “With Saudi Arabia it’s always code red. There’s no code orange, or code yellow. Always red.”

The official also said the Saudi government denied an entry visa to Tamerlan in December 2011, when he apparently wanted to make a pilgrimage to Mecca.


© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
You May Also Like

Obama Plan Would Let Young Hondurans Enter US as Refugees

Thursday, 24 Jul 2014 23:24 PM

The Obama administration is considering a two-year, $47 million pilot program that would screen children and young adult . . .

US Army War College to Launch Plagiarism Probe on Senator's Thesis

Thursday, 24 Jul 2014 21:36 PM

The political hole deepens for beleaguered U.S. Sen. John Walsh of Montana, a Democrat who is running for re-election a . . .

Honduran President: US Policy Partly to Blame for Border Crisis

Thursday, 24 Jul 2014 21:10 PM

The president of Honduras lays part of the blame for the border crisis on an unclear immigration policy of the United St . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved