Login or Register
Welcome , Settings |  Logout

Pentagon Upgrades 'Bunker Buster' Bomb

Image: Pentagon Upgrades 'Bunker Buster' Bomb

Friday, 03 May 2013 01:02 PM

By David Yonkman, Washington Correspondent

Share:
More . . .
A    A   |
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
The Pentagon has redesigned its 15-ton "bunker buster" bomb to ensure that it can destroy Iran's most heavily fortified nuclear site from the air, a new report says.

The improvements are meant to assure Israel that the United States is capable of evading Iran’s air defenses in order to reach the Fordow underground nuclear enrichment complex, claims the Wall Street Journal.

American officials, seeking to demonstrate U.S. capabilities, recently showed Israeli military and civilian leaders a secret Air Force video of an earlier version of the bomb hitting its target in high-altitude testing, and explained what had been done to improve it, the Journal reported.

In the video, the weapon can be seen penetrating the ground within inches of its target, followed by a large underground detonation.

Latest: Do You Support the NRA on Gun Rights? Vote in Urgent Poll

The newest version of what is the Pentagon’s largest conventional bomb, the Massive Ordnance Penetrator, or MOP, has adjusted fuses to maximize its burrowing power, upgraded guidance systems to improve its precision, and added high-tech equipment making it capable of reaching and destroying the Fordow facility, which is buried under a mountain near the Iranian city of Qom.

The MOP would be even more effective against North Korea – where bunkers are not as heavily fortified as Iran’s. The North is among the most tunneled nations in the world, Michaela Dodge, research associate for strategic issues at the Heritage Foundation, tells Newsmax.

"The bomb is designed to take out deeply buried nuclear targets, but there are other examples like command-and-control centers where leadership would go if they wanted to hide themselves," Dodge said.

In March, Pentagon officials spoke publicly about the bombs, which were produced by Boeing and designed to fit exclusively with the B-2 and B-52 bombers, according to Fox News.

"It gives us a far greater capability to reach and destroy an enemy's weapons of mass destruction that are located in well-protected underground facilities … to a magnitude far greater than we have now," Pentagon Spokesman Capt. John Kirby said at the time.

© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
More . . .
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax community.
Register to share your comments with the community. Already a member? Login
Note: Comments from readers do not necessarily reflect the viewpoint of Newsmax Media. While we attempt to review comments, if you see an inappropriate comment you can block it by rolling over the comment, clicking the down arrow and selecting "Flag As Inappropriate."
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Top Stories
Around the Web
You May Also Like

Republicans Call for Action on IRS 'Political Thuggery'

Saturday, 11 May 2013 08:35 AM

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and other Republicans are demanding a complete review of the IRS for targeting co . . .

Turkish Official: Wounded Syrians Show Signs of Chemical Attack

Saturday, 11 May 2013 08:00 AM

Adding to signs President Barack Obama's "red line" on use of such arms may have been crossed, Syrian casualties treated . . .

Paul: Benghazi Failure Should Keep Hillary From 'Ever Holding Office'

Saturday, 11 May 2013 07:40 AM

Speaking at an event hosted by the Iowa Federation of Republican Women Friday, Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., said that Hilary C . . .

 
 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved