Tags: pentagon | billions | cuts

Pentagon to Cut $41 Billion After Getting $5 Billion in Relief

Thursday, 28 Mar 2013 05:34 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
The Pentagon must cut about $41 billion this fiscal year, not the $46 billion anticipated before Congress passed a stopgap spending bill providing some relief from automatic reductions, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said.

Hagel also confirmed today at a Pentagon news conference that furloughs for the Defense Department’s civilian workers will be reduced to 14 days from the 22 days originally planned.

The unpaid leave, which had been slated to begin next month for as many as 750,000 workers, won’t start until June, according to a Pentagon official who briefed reporters today and asked to not be named to discuss details that haven’t been announced. Government analysts are still assessing how many workers will be affected.

“We are going to be able to reduce and delay these furloughs, but not eliminate furloughs,” Hagel said. “It’s good news from where we were two weeks ago.”

The reduction in the number of days means the Pentagon will save about $2.5 billion through furloughs instead of $4 billion, he said.

President Barack Obama signed legislation on March 26 to fund the federal government through the fiscal year that ends Sept. 30. Congress incorporated a defense appropriations measure that gave the Pentagon more flexibility in applying the across- the-board cuts called sequestration.

The measure spared the Pentagon from as much as $6 billion in “penalty” cuts because the defense measure came in under caps set by previous legislation, according to a second Pentagon official who briefed reporters and also asked to not be identified in discussing the budget.

The spending measure signed by Obama includes $10 billion more for operations and maintenance accounts than allocated in the fiscal 2012 “continuing resolution” the Pentagon would have operated under if the new measure hadn’t passed.

Those funds will still fall short by at least $22 billion this year, according to Hagel. He said that will require cutting back “sharply” on operating support for military bases and reducing training for units that aren’t deployed.

At the same time, war costs have risen by about $7 billion more than was anticipated, partly because of the expense of bringing troops and equipment home from Afghanistan, he said.

“We don’t yet have a satisfactory solution to that shortfall, and we’re doing everything we can to stretch our readiness out,” said Army General Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, who joined Hagel at today’s press conference.

Dempsey said the Pentagon is still analyzing the budget cuts that will be required and he expects to have a better understanding in about two weeks of what must be done to maintain readiness.

The Pentagon will have to slice as much as $500 billion from planned spending over the next nine years unless Congress and Obama agree on an alternative deficit-reduction package.

The government spending legislation is HR 933.

© Copyright 2014 Bloomberg News. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

IRS Seizes Money From Those Accused of No Crime

Saturday, 25 Oct 2014 22:34 PM

The Internal Revenue Service has been seizing money from the bank accounts of individuals and businesses with no proof,  . . .

US Struggles to Turn the Tide Against ISIS

Saturday, 25 Oct 2014 21:50 PM

After more than two months of air strikes, a U.S.-led coalition has prevented the fall of a northern Syrian town to Isla . . .

Ebola Patient's Fiancee Leaves Hospital; States Order Quarantine

Saturday, 25 Oct 2014 19:42 PM

The fiancee of the New York City Ebola patient was released from the hospital where she has been under observation, as s . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved