Image: Obamacare Health Site's Biggest Problem: No One Was in Charge

Obamacare Health Site's Biggest Problem: No One Was in Charge

Monday, 28 Oct 2013 03:53 PM

By Melissa Clyne

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
    A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
The Obamacare website launch disaster shouldn't have come as a surprise to the administration since no single official was apparently tasked with the chief responsibility for overseeing and coordinating the mammoth project, The Wall Street Journal reported Monday.

During the planning process, young policy wonks worked on the program from Bethesda, Md., while 40 miles away in Baltimore, computer experts with different bosses handled the site's hardware and software development.

Back in Washington, meanwhile, White House advisers dealt with the politics of the law, purposely delaying final decisions to avoid controversy during the 2012 presidential election, according to the Journal.

The end result of the scattershot planning process has resulted in minimal enrollment, especially among younger Americans, the key demographic to making the healthcare marketplace sustainable. The enrollment of younger, healthier people is designed to offset the costs for the elderly and infirm.

"This was the president's signature project and no one with the right technology experience was in charge," said Bob Kocher, a former White House aide who helped draft the law.

In March, Forbes.com ran a story about the lack of leadership for implementing the new law aimed at ensuring all Americans carry health insurance.

But even the warnings of politicians and pundits didn't spur the appointment of a project director. Since the HealthCare.gov enrollment site went live earlier this month, it has been plagued by crashes and bad data, and a variety of other technical design issues. It's been an embarrassment to the Obama administration and fodder for Republicans looking to defund the program or hoping that it will fail on its own.

Well known problem-solver Jeffrey Zients, a successful businessman and a former White House budget official and trusted adviser to President Barack Obama, has been charged with expediting repairs of all the software glitches on the website and overseeing Quality Software Services, which was recently named the project's general contractor.

Quality Software is one of 55 contractors that worked on the website. The company has said it will have the myriad of technical failures repaired and the site fully operable by the end of November.

Related Stories:



© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Sony Hackers Taunt FBI, 'Congratulate' Its Success

Saturday, 20 Dec 2014 20:06 PM

A new message claiming to be from the group responsible for the Sony Pictures hack appears to mock the FBI, which named  . . .

US Turns to China to Help Stop NKorean Hackers

Saturday, 20 Dec 2014 19:42 PM

The Obama administration is seeking China's help in stopping North Korea from launching future cyber-attacks, the New Yo . . .

RNC to Theaters: 'We Cannot Be Bullied,' Show 'Interview'

Saturday, 20 Dec 2014 19:20 PM

The Republican National Committee is urging theater owners to play the The Interview following Sony's decision to pull . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved