Obamacare is using hidden fees, surcharges and grants to help pay for abortions, according to a Heritage Foundation report.
Circumventing a Congressional policy banning the use of tax dollars on abortions, Obamacare pays for abortions by:
- Charging hidden fees for abortions in the premiums of health insurance obtained through the Affordable Care Act.
- Offering subsidies used to purchase insurance through Obamacare exchanges that cover elective abortions.
- Using taxpayer money to hire pro-abortion organizations to act as Obamacare "navigators," who steer consumers toward plans that provide abortion coverage.
According to the investigative news site Watchdog.org,
insurance companies that are part of the government healthcare program have "secretly added a surcharge to cover the cost of abortions" — at least $1 a month.
"The president promised when the health care bill passed that it would not cover abortion," Rep. Joe Pitts of Pennsylvania, chairman of the House Energy and Commerce subcommittee on Health, told Watchdog.org's Tori Richards.
"We knew that was an empty promise as the bill stipulated a $1 a month surcharge for plans that covered abortions. On top of that … it’s near impossible to decipher which plans include abortion and at what cost!"
According to the report, "the Obamacare law mandates that insurance companies must 'segregate' any federal affordability tax credits that they receive from the individual premiums used to pay for abortions."
A House bill that demands full disclosure and an itemized premium will be introduced by House Majority Leader Eric Cantor this week.
Twenty-six states and Washington D.C., offer insurance plans through Obamacare exchanges that cover elective abortions, according to the Heritage report.
Consumers, who purchase plans through those exchanges, often are given government subsidies to purchase them. Thus, federal tax dollars can be used to help fund abortions through those plans.
"By allowing health insurers that sell plans on many state exchanges to cover abortion while remaining eligible for federal subsidies, Obamacare opens new avenues for federal funding of abortion coverage." The Heritage report says. "These federal tax credits could facilitate the purchase of health plans that cover elective abortion for millions of Americans who did not have such coverage previously."
The report also says that tax money has been used to hire pro-abortion groups, such as Planned Parenthood, to act as so-called "navigators," representatives presumably hired to steer consumers toward the right plans.
According to the Heritage Report:
- The Obama administration awarded $655,000 in taxpayer grants to Planned Parenthood affiliates in Iowa, Montana, and New Hampshire to act as “navigators.”
- The District of Columbia awarded $375,000 to Planned Parenthood Metropolitan D.C. to help enroll residents in its healthcare exchange
- California, Minnesota, and Vermont paid more than $700,000 to local Planned Parenthood affiliates to enroll consumers in exchanges.
The Heritage Foundation recommends that all states prohibit abortion companies on healthcare exchanges and that Congress protect "right of conscience" by prohibiting surcharges or funding of any kind for abortions.
"To truly protect taxpayers, individuals, and families, Obamacare must be repealed in its entirety. Until then, Congress should focus on defunding, delaying, and dismantling the health care law to make room for real reform," the report concludes.
© 2015 Newsmax. All rights reserved.