Tags: netanyahu | israel | iran

Netanyahu Says Doesn't Know of Any U.S.-Iran Talks

Sunday, 21 Oct 2012 07:29 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday he didn't know about any U.S. plans to talk bilaterally with Iran, saying tougher sanctions and a "credible military option" were the best ways to peacefully halt Tehran's nuclear program.

The White House had earlier denied a New York Times report that Washington and Tehran had agreed in principle to hold bilateral negotiations to halt what the West fears is a plan by the Islamic Republic to develop nuclear weapons.

Addressing reporters at a civil defense drill to rehearse for a possible earthquake, Netanyahu accused Iran of having used talks with world powers in the past as a ruse "to drag its feet and to gain time to advance its nuclear weapons programme."

Urgent Poll: Romney or Obama to Handle Foreign Crisis? Vote Here!

"Israel doesn't know about these contacts and I can't confirm that they actually have taken place," Netanyahu said of the report about possible direct contacts between Washington and Tehran.

The New York Times said Iran had insisted that talks with Washington not begin until after a Nov. 6 presidential election determines whether President Barack Obama will serve a second term or if challenger Mitt Romney will succeed him.

Netanyahu said he thought "the best way to resolve peacefully the question of Iran's nuclear programme is through even tougher sanctions and a credible military option."

He said that "in the last year alone" Iran had enriched thousands of kilograms of uranium. "I don't see any reason why they wouldn't continue in that same way if they open up talks with the U.S.," Netanyahu said.

Israel has said in the past it could use military force to prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons and has disagreed with Washington about when Tehran might cross the "red line" and acquire such a capability.

Netanyahu told the United Nations last month that Tehran would arrive at that point only next spring or summer, in what appeared to be an Israeli signal that any military action could wait.

Israeli Vice Prime Minister Moshe Yaalon had suggested in earlier remarks that Israel would not object to any U.S. talks with Iran on the nuclear issue.

"(Israel) doesn't oppose this," said Yaalon. "If Iran stops its military nuclear project as a result of direct contacts with the United States, we will be the first to welcome this."

But he said that as far as Israel was aware, Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, opposed direct talks with Washington.

"I believe the White House denial," Yaalon said.

Urgent Poll: Romney or Obama to Handle Foreign Crisis? Vote Here!

Iran also denied any involvement in talks with the U.S. "We don't have any discussions or negotiations with America," Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said.

Tehran rejects U.S. and Western accusations it is developing nuclear weapons and says it is enriching uranium for purely peaceful purposes.

Last week, Netanyahu praised the European Union for tightening sanctions on Iran, saying such measures were having a strong impact on the Iranian economy.

© 2014 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

ISIS Continues Gains Despite Air Strikes, Threatens Turkey

Thursday, 02 Oct 2014 08:48 AM

Islamic State insurgents tightened their grip on a Syrian border town on Thursday despite coalition air strikes meant to . . .

Texas Officials: 80 People May Have Been Exposed to Ebola Patient

Thursday, 02 Oct 2014 07:57 AM

Texas health officials on Thursday said as many as 80 people were in contact with the Dallas Ebola patient at some point . . .

Parents Fearing Ebola Pull Kids from School

Thursday, 02 Oct 2014 08:29 AM

Dallas parents are pulling their children from school amid fears of exposure to Ebola after five children are believed t . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved