Tags: lanny | davis | white | house | threatened | me

Lanny Davis: White House Threatened Me, Too

Thursday, 28 Feb 2013 04:03 PM

By Lisa Barron

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
Newsmax blogger Lanny Davis on Thursday claimed that he too has been on the receiving end of threats from the White House as a result of columns he has written about President Barack Obama.

Davis, former special counsel to President Bill Clinton, said that his Washington Times editor, John Solomon, “received a phone call from a senior Obama White House official who didn’t like some of my columns, even though I’m a supporter of Obama.”

“I couldn’t imagine why this call was made,” Davis told Washington radio station WMAL. “And he did threaten that if he continued to run my columns, he would lose, or his reporters would lose, their White House credentials.”

Urgent: Spending Cuts – Obama to Blame? Vote in Urgent Poll

Davis was speaking before Gene Sperling, economic adviser to the president, was identified as the White House official who last week told Washington Post editor Bob Woodward he would “regret” writing a column criticizing Obama’s stance on the sequester. Davis did not name the official involved in his case.

Politico on Thursday released the text of the email exchange between Sperling and Woodward. On February 22, Sperling wrote, “I do truly believe you should think your comment about saying that Potus asking for revenues is moving the goal post. I know you may not believe this, but as a friend, I think you will regret staking out that claim.”

The emails show that what Woodward referred to as a threat by the White House on CNN Wednesday night may not have been as menacing as he said.

Still, said Davis, “I don’t care what the intent was, and I’ll assume people are saying there is no intent, it doesn’t matter. The words ‘you’re going to regret it’ are threatening.”

As for his situation, Davis said Solomon “didn’t take it seriously, because he didn’t think that could ever happen.”

“I called three senior people at the White House, and I said, ‘I want this person to be told this can never happen again and it’s inappropriate,’” Davis revealed. “I got a call back from someone who was in the White House saying it will never happen again.”

He added that the person who called his editor is still in the White House.

© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Harry Reid Pleads to Democrat Supporters: 'I'm Begging You'

Friday, 31 Oct 2014 22:25 PM

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid begged Democratic voters on Friday to help the Democratic Senate Campaign Committee re . . .

John Kerry Officially Apologizes to Israel's Netanyahu

Friday, 31 Oct 2014 21:48 PM

Secretary of State John Kerry phoned Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu Friday to apologize for the crude commen . . .

Mexico Judge Orders Release of Marine

Friday, 31 Oct 2014 20:34 PM

A Mexican judge has ordered the immediate release of a jailed U.S. Marine veteran who spent eight months behind bars for . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved