Kerry Pledges to Answer Benghazi Questions, Laments 'Misinformation'

Tuesday, 30 Apr 2013 04:15 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Tuesday pledged full cooperation with lawmakers' queries into last year's assault on the U.S. mission in Benghazi, Libya, while his spokesman dismissed reports that whistleblowers faced retaliation.

"We're prepared to work openly and accountably to answer any of those questions," Kerry told reporters.

"I'm determined that this will be an accountable and open State Department as it has been in the past and we will continue to provide answers," he said.

The assault on the U.S. mission in Benghazi last Sept. 11, in which U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans were killed, was a big headache for President Barack Obama's administration during the November elections.

Some Republicans continue to assail Obama over security lapses, but also over the administration's conflicting early accounts of what happened.

On Tuesday, two senior Republican senators, Lindsey Graham of South Carolina and John McCain of Arizona, reiterated their call for the Senate to set up a joint select committee to investigate the Obama administration's handling of the Benghazi attack.

"Revelations about witnesses being afraid to testify and military assets that could have been deployed in a timely fashion justify appointing a joint select committee," they said in a statement.

The senators were apparently referring to a Fox News report on Monday which quoted a former Justice Department lawyer, Victoria Toensing, as saying that one of her clients and other State Department officials had been threatened with career damage by unnamed Obama administration officials.

Asked about the report, Kerry said "there's been an enormous amount of misinformation out there."

While repeating a vow to cooperate with lawmakers, he added: "We have to demythologize this issue, and certainly depoliticize it."

Pressed on the allegation that would-be witnesses at the State Department faced threats, the department's deputy spokesman Patrick Ventrell said: "The State Department would never tolerate or sanction retaliation against whistleblowers on any issue, including this one."

© 2014 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
You May Also Like

Russia Warns US against Further Sanctions as Ukraine Deal Stalls

Friday, 18 Apr 2014 20:23 PM

Russia said its military is massed on Ukraine's doorstep and warned against further US sanctions as a deal struck with W . . .

Sen. Corker: Time to Consider Sending Weapons to Ukraine

Friday, 18 Apr 2014 19:31 PM

It is time for the United States to provide lethal weapons for Ukraine's military, Sen. Bob Corker said Friday, and make . . .

Pope's Good Friday Message: 'Remember All the Abandoned People'

Friday, 18 Apr 2014 18:05 PM

The plight of immigrants, the poor, the sick, the elderly, unemployed and prisoners dominated Pope Francis' Good Friday  . . .

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved