Report: Israeli Army Resisted Netanyahu on Iran Attack

Monday, 05 Nov 2012 06:31 AM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

JERUSALEM — Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Ehud Barak ordered Israeli defense chiefs in 2010 to prepare for an attack on Iran's nuclear facilities but were rebuffed, a television report said.

Excerpts released on Monday of an Israeli Channel 2 documentary said the armed forces' chief of staff at the time, Gabi Ashkenazi, and Mossad intelligence head Meir Dagan both objected to the order to raise the military's alert level to "F-Plus," which means a strike could be imminent.

Barak, interviewed on the Uvda investigative show, said Ashkenazi told him the army did not have the operational capability for a successful strike against Iran's nuclear program, which Israel believes is aimed at producing weapons, an allegation Tehran denies.

The documentary said Ashkenazi disputes Barak's account and that he told confidants that while the military was capable of carrying out such an attack, to do so would be a strategic mistake.

Ashkenazi, the report added, cautioned that just giving the order to raise the alert status could set off a chain of events that could spiral out of control and lead to a wider conflict.

In an excerpt broadcast before the program aired later Monday, Barak played down the significance of the alert order.

"It is not true that creating a situation in which the IDF [Israel Defense Forces] . . . are on alert for a few hours or a few days to carry out certain operations forces Israel to go through with them," Barak said.

Dagan, who since his retirement as Mossad chief has voiced opposition to a unilateral Israeli attack on Iran, accused Netanyahu and Barak at the time of trying to launch a war illegally without Cabinet approval, the television report said, citing participants at security discussions.

Barak and Netanyahu have since signalled that an attack on Iran was not imminent. In September, Netanyahu told the United Nations that Tehran would be on the brink of nuclear weapons' capability only in the spring or summer of 2013.

Barak said last week that Iran has pulled back on its nuclear program, which has given Israel more time to contemplate its next steps.

© 2014 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

In NYC Ebola Case, Crowded City Complicates Efforts to Track Exposure

Thursday, 23 Oct 2014 23:28 PM

As a New York City doctor tests positive for Ebola after volunteering in West Africa, health officials face the challeng . . .

Marco Rubio: US Must Track 'Homegrown Extremists' in Advance

Thursday, 23 Oct 2014 22:58 PM

The United States must turn its attention to tracking "homegrown extremists before they take action" in America, Sen. Ma . . .

Military Enlistment Program for Immigrants Halted

Thursday, 23 Oct 2014 22:46 PM

A military enlistment program aimed at attracting a select pool of highly skilled immigrants has been suspended while th . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved