Tags: intelligence | Libya | Obama | wrong

Intel Office Tries to Deflect Libya Statement Blame from White House

Friday, 28 Sep 2012 09:46 PM

By Todd Beamon

The nation’s top intelligence agency on Friday took responsibility for the Obama administration’s initial claims that the deadly assault on the U.S. consulate in Libya grew from a spontaneous protest against an anti-Islam video.

The Office of the Director of National Intelligence said that the attack occurred when extremists from groups linked to al-Qaida struck the building in Benghazi in a “deliberate and organized terrorist attack,” McClatchy reports.

“In the immediate aftermath (of the assault), there was information that led us to assess that the attack began spontaneously following protests earlier that day at our embassy in Cairo,” spokesman Sean Turner said in the statement. “We provided that initial assessment to executive branch officials and members of Congress, who used that information to discuss the attack publicly.”

Besides updating the public on the incident, the statement sought to protect the Obama administration from attacks over its original accounts, McClatchy reports.

The Office of the Director of National Intelligence coordinates and sets policies for the 16 other U.S. intelligence agencies. It is led by retired Air Force Gen. James Clapper, who was appointed by President Obama in August 2010.

The U.S. Ambassador to Libya, Chris Stevens, and three other Americans were killed in the Sept. 11 assault.

Republicans presidential candidate Mitt Romney and other GOP legislators have accused the White House of misleading the country about the nature of the attack to protect the Obama campaign’s claim that his policies have hurt al-Qaida’s ability to launch attacks and eased anti-U.S. hatred in the Muslim world.

But the statement did not quell the furor.

GOP New York Rep. Peter King called for the resignation of Susan Rice, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, who was the first senior official to detail the administration’s initial account that the attack. was spontaneous during appearances on Sunday morning television talk shows.

Rice “was the vehicle by which they transmitted this misleading message to the American people and the world,” King told CNN.

© 2015 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Italian Newspaper: 173rd Airborne Brigade Heading to Ukraine to Train Forces

Saturday, 31 Jan 2015 12:32 PM

American soldiers from the 173rd Airborne Brigade at Camp Ederle in Vicenza, Italy, are expected to be leaving the base  . . .

Romney's Exit Unleashes Race for Donors Among 2016 Hopefuls

Saturday, 31 Jan 2015 11:46 AM

Mitt Romney's exit from the presidential campaign has unleashed a frenzy of fresh fundraising and set off a new race for . . .

Rep. Lynn Jenkins: Obama Must Protect College Savings Accounts

Saturday, 31 Jan 2015 10:41 AM

Rep. Lynn Jenkins, in Saturday's GOP address, called on the president to protect college savings accounts, not go throug . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved