Login or Register
Welcome , Settings |  Logout

Immigration Agents Ask Judge to Block Obama Deferred-Deportation Plan

Monday, 08 Apr 2013 06:15 AM

 

Share:
More . . .
A    A   |
   Email Us   |
   Print   |

Ten U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents are asking a federal judge to block an initiative by the Obama administration that defers deportation action against law-abiding undocumented immigrants.

Announced by President Barack Obama last year, the program allows the children of undocumented immigrants who were brought to the U.S. before age 16 to remain in the country if they have no criminal record and meet other criteria.

The agents sued ICE and the federal Department of Homeland Security over the policy in August. U.S. District Judge Reed O’Connor in Dallas is set to hear arguments today on a request to block the measure.

The government’s actions “place the ICE agent plaintiffs on the horns of a dilemma,” their lawyers said in a November court filing. “They must either comply with federal law and face disciplinary actions, or ignore the requirements of federal law and participate in the administration of an illegal program.”

The hearing comes as bipartisan groups in the U.S. Senate and the House of Representatives negotiate legislation that would resolve the status of more than 11 million undocumented immigrants while addressing issues of border security.

Florida Republican Marco Rubio and New York Democrat Charles Schumer are among those in the Senate negotiations, while Illinois Democrat Luis Gutierrez and Idaho Republican Raul Labrador are part of the House talks.

‘Not Amnesty’

The Obama administration’s “Deferred Action” initiative, announced in June, was created with the intent of shifting immigration agency focus toward border security and removal of dangerous people.

“This is not amnesty, this is not immunity,” Obama said then. “This is not a path to citizenship, it’s not a permanent fix.” Deferral, if conferred, is valid for two years, during which the individual may obtain authorization for employment, and can be renewed, according to the ICE website.

The U.S. has opposed the agents’ bid for a court order blocking the program, arguing they’ve shown no likelihood of imminent and irreparable injury, and cannot prevail on the merits.

“The challenged action here (an agency’s issuance of memoranda providing guidance on how it will prioritize its enforcement efforts) is inherently a matter committed to agency discretion by law for which this court lacks jurisdiction,” lawyers for the U.S. said in a December court filing.

O’Connor in January denied a federal government request he throw out the case, ruling that the agents had standing to pursue most of their claims.

The case is Crane v. Napolitano, 3:12-cv-03247, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas (Dallas).


© Copyright 2013 Bloomberg News. All rights reserved.

Share:
More . . .
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax community.
Register to share your comments with the community. Already a member? Login
Note: Comments from readers do not necessarily reflect the viewpoint of Newsmax Media. While we attempt to review comments, if you see an inappropriate comment you can block it by rolling over the comment, clicking the down arrow and selecting "Flag As Inappropriate."
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Top Stories
Around the Web
You May Also Like

Paul: Benghazi Failure Should Keep Hillary From 'Ever Holding Office'

Saturday, 11 May 2013 07:40 AM

Speaking at an event hosted by the Iowa Federation of Republican Women Friday, Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., said that Hilary C . . .

Poll: Obama Botched Benghazi, Misled Country

Friday, 10 May 2013 22:14 PM

A large number of Americans think President Obama dropped the ball in his handling of the aftermath of the attack on the . . .

Heritage Researcher Quits Amid Controversial Immigration Report

Friday, 10 May 2013 20:55 PM

A senior policy analyst for the Heritage Foundation who co-authored a controversial report on immigration has resigned a . . .

 
 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved