Tags: holder | wall | street | criminal

Holder: Wall Street Actions 'Reprehensible,' Not Criminal

Friday, 24 Feb 2012 06:59 AM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

While conduct that contributed to the 2008 market collapse was “morally reprehensible,” it wasn’t necessarily criminal, said U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder.

In remarks made yesterday at Columbia Law School in New York, Holder said he understands “the public desire to, as one pundit put it, ’see the handcuffs come to Wall Street.’”

“We’ve found that much of the conduct that led to the financial crisis was unethical and irresponsible,” Holder said without specifying the activities he was describing. “But we also have discovered that some of this behavior, while morally reprehensible, may not necessarily have been criminal.”

The Obama administration has faced criticism from some Democratic lawmakers for not bringing more prosecutions related to the market collapse.

President Barack Obama announced the creation of a Justice Department unit to investigate misconduct in the bundling of mortgage loans into securities in his State of the Union speech on Jan. 24.

‘Civil Sanctions’

The Justice Department “will not hesitate to bring prosecutions” where there’s evidence of criminal wrongdoing, Holder said. “When we don’t, we will continue to use other tools available to us, such as civil sanctions, to hold people and institutions accountable.”

Holder told his audience of law students, faculty and others that the Dodd-Frank Act, the regulatory overhaul enacted in 2010, is “so important right now” because “we had in place regulations that existed since the Great Depression, and for whatever reason we started to dismantle that in the 1990s.”

On a different issue, Holder lamented that the suspected terrorists detained at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, remain in limbo “because Congress won’t let us act.”

He said that if the trial of the self-described mastermind of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks had been allowed to take place in a civilian court in New York City, “the case would have been done.”

The criminal case against Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four alleged accomplices was returned in April to the military commissions system, after the Obama administration abandoned plans to try the case in New York.

Not allowing the civilian trial was “a fundamental mistake,” Holder said, adding that “New York could handle the case.”

 

© Copyright 2014 Bloomberg News. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
You May Also Like

US Special Forces Tried to Save Journalist Before Beheading

Wednesday, 20 Aug 2014 19:30 PM

U.S. Special Forces attempted to free James Foley, the American journalist beheaded by the Islamic State (ISIS), earlier . . .

Judge Orders Holder to Cough Up Fast, Furious Documents

Wednesday, 20 Aug 2014 23:03 PM

A federal judge has ordered the Justice Department to provide Congress with a list of documents that are at the center o . . .

Dick Cheney: Deal With ISIS or Face Attack Far Worse Than 9/11

Wednesday, 20 Aug 2014 22:51 PM

Former Vice President Dick Cheney warns that if the United States doesn't deal with the Islamic State (ISIS) terrorist g . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved