Fox Pulls Out of Hillary Clinton Mini-Series

Saturday, 17 Aug 2013 02:31 AM

By Todd Beamon

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
An outlet of Fox Entertainment said Friday that financial issues led it to pull out of a mini-series about former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton that is being planned for NBC.

The decision by Fox Television Studios came on the same day as the Republican National Committee unanimously passed a resolution to prevent NBC and CNN from covering its 2016 GOP presidential primary debates.

The New York Times reported Friday that an executive involved in the negotiations between Fox and NBC said political pressure was not a factor.

Rather, the financial terms being offered by NBC simply were not attractive to Fox, the executive told the Times.

The RNC, meeting in Boston at its summer meeting, asked the networks Friday "to cancel these political ads masked as unbiased entertainment." Clinton is considered a likely Democratic presidential candidate in 2016.

CNN is planning a documentary about Clinton from director Charles Ferguson, who won an Oscar in 2011 for his film "Inside Job." Ferguson used his Oscar acceptance speech as a platform of sorts, saying, "Three years after a horrific financial crisis caused by massive fraud, not a single financial executive has gone to jail, and that's wrong."

"The Hillary Clinton movie has not been ordered to production. Only a script is being written at this time," NBC Entertainment Chairman Bob Greenblatt told The Hollywood Reporter. The network plans to produce the series on its own.

"It is 'in development,' the first stage of any television series or movie, many of which never go to production," Greenblatt said. "Speculation, demands, and declarations pertaining to something that isn't created or produced yet seem premature."

The executive who spoke to The New York Times, who insisted on not being identified because of the private nature of the talks, said Fox's research indicated that foreign sales of the film might not be as strong as anticipated.

Fox Television Studios would have gained international sales rights to the mini-series, a crucial factor in its interest, the Times reports.

It was announced last week that Fox TV Studios, the home of the Fox News cable channel, might produce the planned four-hour mini-series, written and directed by Courtney Hunt and starring actress Diane Lane.

Fox TV did not respond to requests for comment. NBC also declined to comment.


© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
You May Also Like

State Department: 'No American is Proud' of CIA Interrogation Techniques

Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 12:50 PM

A set of leaked talking points from the State Department revealed that the now-defunct CIA's interrogation and detention . . .

Cantor Says Goodbye, Calls for Strong Foreign Policy

Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 12:36 PM

Eric Cantor exited the leadership of the U.S. House of Representatives with a plea for a "strong" foreign policy and a c . . .

Brennan Apologizes For CIA Monitoring of Senate Computers

Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 12:18 PM

CIA Director John Brennan is apologizing to Senate intelligence committee leaders after his inspector general found that . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved