Outgoing FBI director Robert Mueller says there is still the possibility of an al-Qaida attack on American embassies and consulates in the Middle East and Africa.
In an interview with Fox News Thursday, Mueller said
, "We are closely monitoring the situation," but warned the danger has not passed.
"I would say that it may well have been postponed," he said of the terror threat that led to the closures of nearly two dozen diplomatic posts earlier this month
Asked why, Mueller responded, "It's hard to say, but I think one of the contributing factors is the fact that we ramped up and that precautions were taken and that the opportunity they thought they may have had at that juncture was no longer there."
As for a reported conference call among terrorist leaders, he revealed, "We are seeing dialogue between core al-Qaida and the affiliates."
When asked if he believes al-Qaida is dead, Mueller replied, "No."
After serving as head of the nation's premier law enforcement agency for 12 years, Mueller departs office on Sept. 4, giving up his director's job to James Comey. Mueller told Fox that he will miss his colleagues at the FBI, but added, "It's time to move on."
© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.