Cantor: New Benghazi Email Proves White House Misled Americans

Image: Cantor: New Benghazi Email Proves White House Misled Americans

Wednesday, 30 Apr 2014 06:06 PM

By Todd Beamon

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
House Majority Leader Eric Cantor said on Wednesday that an email in which a White House official advises former U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice to link the 2012 Benghazi attack to an anti-Muslim video to protect President Barack Obama's re-election bid proved that the administration "from the beginning misled Congress, the media — and most importantly, the American people."

"For nearly two years, Congress and the American people have sought answers to important questions surrounding the attack on our mission in Benghazi," the Virginia Republican said in a statement. "For nearly two years, the White House has sought to avoid answering those questions.

Urgent: Do You Think There is a Cover-up on Benghazi? Vote Now in Urgent Poll

"Now we know why it required a court order to finally force the White House to respond to those inquiries," Cantor said.

In a Sept. 14, 2012, email released by Judicial Watch on Tuesday, White House Deputy National Security Adviser Ben Rhodes advised Rice to focus on the YouTube video as the cause of a spontaneous protest that led to the attack on Sept. 11, 2012.


That was in the face of previously released emails showing that senior defense officials told the administration on the night of the attack that it was terrorism linked to al-Qaida and that no protest had occurred.

Rhodes outlined several talking points for Rice, now Obama's national security adviser, with the advice "to underscore that these protests are rooted in an Internet video, and not a broader failure of policy."

Rice appeared on five Sunday talk shows on Sept. 16, saying the attacks were caused by the video.

The assault on the U.S. Consulate and nearby CIA annex killed Ambassador Chris Stevens, Sean Smith — and two Navy SEALs, Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods.

Judicial Watch obtained the documents on April 18 via a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit it filed against the State Department last June. They obtained 41 emails, many of which had portions redacted.

Republicans charged to Newsmax that the email was a "smoking gun" showing that proved the White House used the attack to bolster Obama's claims that al-Qaida was on the run in Libya.

They also stepped up their calls into an independent investigation into the attacks.

"It is increasingly clear that this administration orchestrated an effort to deflect attention away from their failed Libya policy and the resurgence of al-Qaida and other terrorists," Cantor said. "The emails provide additional evidence that senior officials knew the attack on our mission in Benghazi was a complex attack and not a spontaneous reaction to a YouTube video.

"Some may say, what difference at this point does it make?" the majority leader asked.

"Well, four brave Americans were killed in Benghazi — and to date it appears that more has been done to protect internal emails than to bring the murderers of these Americans to justice."

Urgent: Do You Think There is a Cover-up on Benghazi? Vote Now in Urgent Poll

Related Stories:


© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

CEO of French Oil Giant Total Killed in Moscow Plane Crash

Monday, 20 Oct 2014 22:44 PM

The CEO of French oil company Total, Christophe de Margerie, died in a plane crash at a Moscow airport after his private . . .

Obama to Sharpton: Dems in Key Races Support Me

Monday, 20 Oct 2014 22:31 PM

Some Democrats running for re-election or challenging Republican incumbents in next month's midterm elections have dista . . .

Oscar de La Renta, Designer for First Ladies, Celebrities, Dies at 82

Monday, 20 Oct 2014 22:01 PM

Legendary fashion designer Oscar de la Renta, who dressed generations of celebrities in red carpet and evening gowns, ha . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved