Durbin: Background Check Might Not Have Stopped Shooter

Image: Durbin: Background Check Might Not Have Stopped Shooter

Tuesday, 17 Sep 2013 02:42 PM

By Lisa Barron

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
Illinois Sen. Dick Durbin acknowledges that a background check of suspected killer Aaron Alexis still may not prevented Monday’s mass shooting at the Washington Navy Yard. But that's not stopping the Democrat from calling for expanded background checks for gun purchases.

Durbin, the Majority Whip, is urging the Senate to reconsider legislation sponsored by Sens. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va. and Pat Toomey, R-Pa., to expand background checks.
“We need to return to issues that are of importance,” he said on the Senate floor, reports The Hill.

“There was an issue before the Senate several months ago…that would have taken an extra step to keep guns out of the hands of those who have a history of felonies and who are mentally ill,” Durbin added.

Officials say Alexis entered the Navy Yard building with a with a Remington 870 12-gauge shotgun purchased last week in Virginia, according to The Washington Times.

Two other weapons were found at the scene, including an AR-15, the same weapon used is in the mass shootings in Newtown, Conn. And Aurora, Colo. News of the AR-15 used at the Navy Yard brought renewed cries of an assault weapons ban, CNN reports.

“When will enough be enough?" Feinstein said in a statement released on her website.

But CNN says investigators are exploring the possibility that the AR-15 and a handgun used in the shooting were taken from guards at the scene and were not owned by Alexis.
Alexis, 34, of Fort Worth, Texas, had reportedly finished a contract in Japan for The Experts, an IT consulting firm, and was about to be reassigned to do additional work at the Navy Yard.

“We had just rehired him. Another background investigation was re-run and cleared through the defense security service in July 2013,” said Thomas Hoshko, CEO of The Experts, which was helping service the Navy Marine Corps Intranet as a subcontractor for HP Enterprise Services, part of Hewlett-Packard.

“He did have a secret clearance. And he did have a CAC (common access card),” said Hoshko said Tuesday.

Alexis had served as a Petty Officer in the Navy between 2007 and 2011, when he was discharged, and had been previously arrested in gun-related incidents, according to NBC News.

“This individual appeared to have some background issues…that should have raised some questions,” stated Durbin.

© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
You May Also Like

Sen. Corker: Time to Consider Sending Weapons to Ukraine

Friday, 18 Apr 2014 19:31 PM

It is time for the United States to provide lethal weapons for Ukraine's military, Sen. Bob Corker said Friday, and make . . .

Pope's Good Friday Message: 'Remember All the Abandoned People'

Friday, 18 Apr 2014 18:05 PM

The plight of immigrants, the poor, the sick, the elderly, unemployed and prisoners dominated Pope Francis' Good Friday  . . .

US to Extend Keystone XL Comment Period, Delaying Decision

Friday, 18 Apr 2014 14:32 PM

The Obama administration said Friday it's extending its review of the Keystone XL pipeline - a procedural punt that coul . . .

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved