Tags: catholic | church | abuse | cases

LA Archdiocese, Cardinal Mahony Settle Sex Abuse Cases

Tuesday, 12 Mar 2013 06:58 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles, Cardinal Roger Mahony, and a former priest have agreed to pay a total of nearly $10 million to settle four child sex abuse cases brought against them, lawyers for the victims said on Tuesday.

Mahony, who retired in 2011 as head of the largest U.S. archdiocese and is now in Rome taking part in choosing a new pope, was accused of helping a confessed pedophile priest evade law enforcement by sending him out of state to a church-run treatment center, then placing the priest back in the Los Angeles ministry.

As part of the agreement approved by a Los Angeles judge earlier this month, none of the parties admitted wrongdoing, according to a plaintiff's attorney in the case, Vince Finaldi.

But Finaldi said the settlement, together with the recent release of internal church records documenting the role of Mahony and others in covering up child sexual abuse by the clergy, comes "as close to an admission of guilt as you're going to get from the archdiocese."

A lawyer for the archdiocese, Michael Hennigan confirmed a settlement in the amount of $9.99 million was reached. He added the archdiocese "has always taken the position that we were responsible for the conduct" of the pedophile priest named in the case.

Scandals over sex abuse in the U.S. Catholic Church, which erupted in 1992 with a series of molestation cases uncovered in Boston, have cost the church billions of dollars in settlements and driven prominent dioceses into bankruptcy.

The Los Angeles archdiocese, which serves 4 million Catholics, reached a $660 million civil settlement in 2007 with more than 500 victims of child molestation, marking the biggest such agreement of its kind in the nation. Mahony at that time called the abuse "a terrible sin and crime."

The archdiocese has reached a handful of smaller settlements in other cases since then, but the one announced on Tuesday was by far the biggest, Finaldi added.

© 2014 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
You May Also Like

Obama Plan Would Let Young Hondurans Enter US as Refugees

Thursday, 24 Jul 2014 23:24 PM

The Obama administration is considering a two-year, $47 million pilot program that would screen children and young adult . . .

US Army War College to Launch Plagiarism Probe on Senator's Thesis

Thursday, 24 Jul 2014 21:36 PM

The political hole deepens for beleaguered U.S. Sen. John Walsh of Montana, a Democrat who is running for re-election a . . .

Honduran President: US Policy Partly to Blame for Border Crisis

Thursday, 24 Jul 2014 21:10 PM

The president of Honduras lays part of the blame for the border crisis on an unclear immigration policy of the United St . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved