GOP presidential candidate Newt Gingrich said Saturday that his cash-strapped campaign machine will march forward into North Carolina next week -- despite reports that stops in that state and elsewhere had been placed on indefinite hold, according to a report by Fox News
Filed federal reports indicated that the Gingrich campaign had $4.3 million in debt and has $1.22 million cash on hand. The campaign raised $1.6 million in March but spent $2.01 million, Fox News reported. Other public records revealed that Gingrich started the month of March with $1.55 million in debt and only $1.54 million in cash reserves.
Gingrich has won two primaries -- South Carolina and his home state of Georgia. What he had hoped would be a victorious swing through the South was disrupted when former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum tallied wins in Tennessee, Oklahoma, Alabama and Mississippi before suspending his campaign.
Wayne King, vice chairman of the North Carolina Republican Party, told Fox News that he got a call from Gingrich who personally told him campaign events are on for next week and that a revised schedule is forthcoming.
This latest word came after King revealed that he got a call Friday informing him that Gingrich was canceling his entire trip to the state next week. King passed on word of the cancellation to activists and county chairs hosting the candidate. Now it is a scramble to ramp events back up, Fox News reports.
Gingrich and his wife, Callista, were scheduled to make seven or eight stops in the counties of Mecklenburg, Gaston, Lincoln, Cleveland, Catawba, and Surry.
© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.