Brennan Postpones Appointment of First Woman to Head Covert Operations

Thursday, 04 Apr 2013 10:43 AM

By Sandy Fitzgerald

Share:
More . . .
A    A   |
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
CIA Director John Brennan is postponing the permanent appointment of the first woman to head the agency's clandestine service, apparently because of her involvement in detentions and interrogations following the Sept. 11 2001 terrorist attacks.

The woman, whose name has not been made public because she also works undercover, has been the acting director for some time, according to The Washington Post. But Brennan has asked three former CIA officers to evaluate her qualifications and history at the agency and that of several other candidates as well.

According to the Post, assembling a panel to review the qualifications of an undercover director was a first for the CIA.

Urgent:
ObamaCare Is About to Strike — Are You Prepared?

“The director of the clandestine service has never been picked that way,” a former senior U.S. intelligence official told the Post.

The woman, who was appointed acting director before Brennan took over as head of the CIA last month, is a veteran agent in her 50s who reportedly enjoys broad support within the agency. But her past ties to controversial detention and interrogation measures that were questioned by Congress has apparently raised some concerns, the Post noted.

The newspaper cited decisions related to the destruction of video tapes of interrogations as one example.

The acting director “is highly experienced, smart and capable,” and giving her the job permanently “would be a home run from a diversity standpoint,” a former senior U.S. intelligence official told the Post. “But she was also heavily involved in the interrogation program at the beginning and for the first couple of years.”





© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
More . . .
   Email Us   |
   Print   |
Around the Web
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus
Top Stories
Around the Web
You May Also Like

Michele Bachmann Flees as Press Asks About Ethics Probe

Wednesday, 10 Apr 2013 22:14 PM

Former GOP presidential hopeful Michele Bachmann reportedly fled a press conference on Tuesday when the line of question . . .

Sen. Manchin Breaks Down, Newtown Families Comfort Him

Wednesday, 10 Apr 2013 21:21 PM

U.S. Senator Joe Manchin became so emotional on Wednesday about the Newtown massacre and his push for background checks  . . .

CBS Joins Fox in Threat to Move to Cable

Wednesday, 10 Apr 2013 14:18 PM

CBS is joining the Fox network in threatening to take their broadcasts off the airwaves if Internet startup Aereo Inc. c . . .

 
 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved