House Speaker John Boehner Monday defended the way he has handled the investigation into last year's attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, insisting a select committee is not needed to probe the incident.
The Ohio Republican told the media that he has resisted lawmakers’ calls for a select committee because he doesn't think one is necessary.
“The five committees that have jurisdiction over this matter are working closely together,” said Boehner. “They're getting the job done.”
As of Monday, The Hill
reports, 117 of Boehner's fellow lawmakers have signed onto a resolution from Republican Rep. Frank Wolf of Virginia, seeking a select committee. However, Boehner, defending his handling into the Benghazi incident, said it would be a waste of time and money, a claim backed by leaders of the Oversight, Foreign Affairs, Armed Services, Intelligence, and Judiciary committees.
Editor's Note: Should ObamaCare Be Repealed? Vote in Urgent National Poll
However, conservative groups say the standing committees' investigations are not focused, and claim a select committee would have more power to get information from the White House and State department.
Boehner said the committees have reached out to witnesses in the attack, which killed Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans, and there is a lot more information to be gathered.
“I've been concerned about this since last September. I don't think that we've gotten to the bottom of what did the State Department know; when did they know it; why they didn't take action?" he said. "And then, during the attack itself, why weren't assets brought in? Why wasn't our government doing more to protect the Americans who were on the ground?”
© 2016 Newsmax. All rights reserved.