Issa Hints at More Benghazi Testimony from Hillary Clinton

Thursday, 16 Jan 2014 02:04 PM

By Wanda Carruthers

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa hinted Thursday that former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton might be called to testify again in response to a Senate report on the 2012 attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi, Libya.

"Certainly she could be appropriate as we gather additional information, some that's been withheld from us," Issa told Fox News Thursday.



A bipartisan report released Wednesday by the Senate Intelligence Committee says the attack could have been prevented and blames the State Department for not taking steps to fortify and secure the facility in light of intelligence warnings about growing threats to Western targets in Benghazi. An addendum to the report filed by Republican committee members  said Clinton, a potential 2016 presidential candidate, was ultimately responsible for inadequate security at the compound.

The report also revealed for the first time that U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens, who was killed in the attack along with three other Americans, had twice rejected efforts to make the diplomatic outpost more secure.

Issa stopped short of saying Clinton would definitely be called to testify, noting that his immediate focus would be to make public "what's been said in classified sessions that shouldn't be classified" about the bombing.

"The American people deserve to listen directly to testimony, under oath, by people who have direct involvement," the California Republican said.

The Senate report said it was "undeniable" that the Benghazi bombing was a "premeditated attack," Issa noted. Terrorist groups linked to al-Qaida are suspected of carrying out the bombing, although The New York Times has reported that the assault on Sept. 11, 2012 was carried out by militant Libyan militia groups angry at the U.S. for various reasons.

Issa, however, continued to insist that the White House initially blamed the attack on anger set off by an anti-Islam video so it would have less of an impact on the presidential election two months later.

"In my opinion, this was an attempt to tamp down a situation on the eve of an election, so that they wouldn't have to admit that al-Qaida and terrorist groups on September 11th attacked Americans, and killed Americans," he said.

Related Stories:

© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Republicans on Secret Service Chief's Resignation: 'She Had to Go'

Wednesday, 01 Oct 2014 20:07 PM

Republicans lauded the resignation of Julia Pierson as director of the Secret Service on Wednesday, but warned that her  . . .

Hospital Mix-up Turned Away Ebola Patient

Wednesday, 01 Oct 2014 19:18 PM

Health officials scoured the Dallas area Wednesday for people, including schoolchildren, who came in contact with a Libe . . .

Jimmy Carter: I Would Have Beaten Reagan if I Had Been More 'Manly'

Wednesday, 01 Oct 2014 19:18 PM

Former President Jimmy Carter, who turned 90 Wednesday, says he would have been beaten Ronald Reagan and been re-elected . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved