An attorney for Michele Bachmann on Thursday denied the accusations of campaign-finance improprieties stemming from a filing with federal election officials by a former top adviser.
“Bachmann for President denies the allegations contained in the complaint filed with the FEC and intends to file an appropriate response,” the attorney, William McGinley, said in a statement. “We are confident that this matter will be resolved in the campaign’s favor.”
The former adviser, Dr. Peter Waldron, made the accusations in a complaint filed on Tuesday with the Federal Election Commission, the Star-Tribune
Waldron is an evangelist who was enlisted by the Bachmann campaign to reach out to Christian conservatives — and he charged last week that Bachmann campaign officials withheld payments to staffers who refused to sign confidentiality agreements.
Waldron, who once served as Bachmann's national field coordinator, said the campaign improperly used money from MichelePAC to pay longtime fund-raising consultant Guy Short for work he performed just before last year’s Iowa caucuses.
He also contended that campaign officials concealed payments to Iowa’s state campaign chairman, state Sen. Kent Sorenson, who quit Bachmann’s effort to join then U.S. Rep. Ron Paul's campaign.
Waldron said that Iowa Senate rules barred Sorenson from working on a presidential campaign for pay, the Star-Tribune reports.
© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.