Tags:

Justice Minister Regrets Errors over Norway Killings

Monday, 03 Oct 2011 06:43 AM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

* Clearest expression yet that post-attack response flawed

* Island where 69 died open to media for first time

* Police believe killer Breivik acted alone

By Gwladys Fouche

OSLO, Oct 3 (Reuters) - Norwegian Justice Minister Knut Storberget has expressed regret for errors in the response to the killing of 77 people by Anders Behring Breivik in July, the clearest acknowledgement by the government to date that some criticism of the police was justified.

"All of us, including I, must express regret for mistakes," Storberget told the daily Aftenposten, as 180 journalists prepared to visit the island where Breivik gunned down 69 people. Eight people died hours earlier when Breivik detonated a bomb in Oslo.

The harshest criticism has centered on the hour it took police to arrest Breivik on July 22 after the first reports of gunfire on Utoeya island, 40 km (25 miles) north of Oslo.

Storberget took responsibility for "shortcomings" in the response, including incorrect information the police provided to some victims' families, but said he had no plan to resign.

Journalists were to cross by boat on Monday to the island where more than 500 members of Norway's Labour Party youth wing were attending a summer camp when Breivik opened fire.

Norwegian investigators say they believe Breivik, who says he targeted the Labour Party because it had allowed too many Muslim migrants into Norway, acted alone.

During more than 75 hours of police questioning Breivik has expressed no regret for his actions.

Police in Oslo say they want to interview Alan Lake, whom they believe is a key figure in Britain's anti-Islamist English Defence League (EDL), to find out if he may have been an ideological source of inspiration to Breivik, a senior police official told Reuters.

"Alan Lake is an obvious person we would like to speak to," Oslo police prosecutor Paal-Fredrik Hjort Kraby said.

He added: "At this point in the investigation there is no indication that anyone knew about his (Breivik's) plans."

The English Defence League said in an email to Reuters that Lake had "absolutely nothing to do with the EDL". Lake could not be reached for comment but has previously denied being a senior member of the EDL.

(Editing by Janet Lawrence)

© 2014 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Poll: Two-Thirds of Americans Fear ISIS Threat

Thursday, 28 Aug 2014 21:09 PM

Most Americans think the world has become a much more dangerous place in recent years - and that President Barack Obama  . . .

Walid Phares: ISIS, al-Qaida Competing for Dominance

Thursday, 28 Aug 2014 20:57 PM

An al-Qaida-produced magazine urging lone wolf terrorists to strike American targets including Times Square and Las Vega . . .

GOP Slams Obama on ISIS: 'He Has Never Had a Good Strategy'

Thursday, 28 Aug 2014 20:52 PM

Republicans slammed President Barack Obama's admission Thursday that "we don't have a strategy yet" for battling the Isl . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved