Tags:

China Says Its Naval Drills No Cause for Alarm

Wednesday, 29 Jun 2011 08:17 AM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

BEIJING, June 29 (Reuters) - Recent drills by the Chinese navy are routine and not connected to tension over the disputed South China Sea, the country's Defence Ministry said on Wednesday, calling for people to view the exercises in a "rational" way.

Harsh rhetoric and an occasional stand-off have long been part of the jousting over the contested South China Sea. But there are more frequent incidents and the complaints from Southeast Asian capitals about China's actions are louder.

"What needs explaining is that a series of recent naval drills are routine and planned annually and have no connection with the situation at present in the South China Sea," ministry spokesman Yang Yujun told a news conference, according to a transcript posted on the ministry's website(www.mod.gov.cn).

"We have seen that some reports have been excessively speculative and overly interpretative. We hope that everyone can objectively and rationally view these normal naval exercises," he added.

China's growing military clout had added to regional jitters about the country's rise. China says that it needs to upgrade its outmoded forces and that its plans are not a threat to any country, pointing out that its defence budget is far smaller than that of the United States.

Still, tensions have risen sharply in the South China Sea in recent months on concern China is becoming more assertive in its claim to the disputed waters believed to be rich in oil and natural gas.

Vietnam and the Philippines have expressed particular concern about China's growing assertiveness in the seas, including harassment of ships. An Australian think tanks said on Tuesday that risks were growing that incidents at sea involving China could lead to war in Asia.

The United States and the Philippines are scheduled to hold maritime security exercises near the disputed waters this week.

Yang said U.S-Philippines defence cooperation "ought not to be directed at any third party, nor damage the interests of any third party".

"We hope that relevant countries can put regional peace and stability at the forefront and do more to benefit regional peace and stability," he added.

On Monday, the U.S. Senate passed a resolution that deplored China's use of force against Vietnamese and Philippine ships in the South China Sea.

But Yang repeated Beijing's stance that the United States should stay out of the matter.

"The peace and stability of the South China Sea accords with the common interests of all countries in the Asia Pacific, including China and the United States," he added.

China, Vietnam, the Philippines, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan all claim territories in the sea, which covers an important shipping route and is thought to hold untapped oil and gas reserves.

China's claim is to most of the sea's 648,000 square miles (1.7 million square km), including the Spratly and Paracel archipelagos. (Reporting by Ben Blanchard; Editing by Yoko Nishikawa)

© 2014 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Fading Star? Even Wendy Davis' Hometown Paper Endorses Abbott

Monday, 20 Oct 2014 14:52 PM

Time is running out and support continues to wane for the Texas gubernatorial campaign of Democrat Wendy Davis, Politico . . .

Planet Marks Hottest September Since 1880

Monday, 20 Oct 2014 12:38 PM

Last month was the hottest September for globally averaged temperature over land and ocean surfaces since record-keeping . . .

Study: 2,000 Treated for Female Genital Mutilation in UK

Monday, 20 Oct 2014 14:35 PM

A shocking study in England has revealed that the British National Health Service has treated nearly 2,000 women in the  . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved