Al-Qaida Leader in Yemen Threatens New U.S. Attacks

Tuesday, 23 Feb 2010 05:09 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

A senior operative of the al-Qaida network in Yemen — the group that claimed responsibility for the failed Christmas Day attack on an American passenger jet over Detroit — has threatened more attacks on the United States.

The U.S. has become increasingly worried about militants based in Yemen since al-Qaida groups there and in Saudi Arabia merged last year to become al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula. The group has openly targeted U.S. and other Western interests in Yemen, and — as demonstrated by the Dec. 25 attack — abroad.

Qasim al-Raimi, a top military commander for al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula, warned Americans in an article published in an online militant magazine that the group "will blow up the earth from below your feet."

"You have attacked us in the midst of our household, so wait for what will attack you in the midst of yours," al-Raimi said, according to a translation of the message from the SITE Intelligence Group, which monitors militant Web sites.

The United States is increasingly worried that Yemen is becoming a significant terrorist staging ground, amid signs that lower-level al-Qaida operatives have been moving into the country from the Afghanistan-Pakistan border region.

Washington has pressured Yemen's government to crack down on the network, and the Pentagon has earmarked some $150 million in military assistance to Yemen to help combat the threat.

Al-Raimi claimed in the article that U.S. efforts have backfired, and only succeeded in pushing more Yemenis into the militant fold. "You united us with our people, made our catastrophe one," he said.

Al-Raimi is one of 23 militants who broke out of a prison in San'a in February 2006 and is at large. Yemeni authorities have said they believe he was involved in the July 2007 suicide bombing that killed eight Spanish tourists and two Yemenis visiting a temple in central Yemen.

He escaped a Yemeni military strike in December 2009 that killed a deputy commander and at least 30 other suspected militants.

Worries over al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula's growing presence are compounded by fears that Yemen could collapse into turmoil from its multiple conflicts and increasing poverty and become another Afghanistan, giving the militants even freer rein.

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
You May Also Like

Argentina Teeters on the Brink of Default

Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 07:38 AM

With Standard Poor's saying Argentina is in default and last-minute plans to remedy the situation falling through, inv . . .

Florida Al-Qaida Suicide Bomber Came Back to US Before Mission

Thursday, 31 Jul 2014 06:26 AM

Moner Mohammad Abusalha, the 22-year-old Florida man who became an al-Qaida suicide bomber, returned home for several mo . . .

Paul Ryan: Obama's Impeachment Talk Is 'Ridiculous Gambit'

Wednesday, 30 Jul 2014 22:32 PM

Rep. Paul Ryan says legislation to deal with the crisis of illegal migrant children is imminent – but broader reform unl . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved