Tags: US | NYC | Terror

US: NYC Subway Bomb Plot Linked to British Cell

Wednesday, 07 Jul 2010 03:48 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

A failed plot to set off bombs in the New York subway system last year was part of a larger al-Qaida terrorist conspiracy that included a similar attack planned in England, U.S. prosecutors said Wednesday.

In an indictment unsealed Wednesday in federal court in Brooklyn, prosecutors added several al-Qaida figures to the case, including Adnan Shukrijumah, an FBI most-wanted terrorist.

Shukrijumah, one of the al-Qaida leaders in charge of plotting attacks worldwide, was directly involved in recruiting and plotting the New York attack, prosecutors said. Attorney General Eric Holder has called that plot one of the most dangerous since 9/11.

Three of the men indicted Wednesday — Abid Naseer, Tariq Ur Rehman and an alleged al-Qaida operative known as "Ahmad" — were linked to a previously undisclosed companion plot in England.

"These charges underscore the global nature of the terrorist threat we face," said David Kris, the Justice Department's top national security prosecutor.

The Associated Press first reported last week that U.S. authorities believe Shukrijumah was involved in the subway plot, and that Ahmad is in Pakistani custody.

Three U.S. citizens were arrested in September 2009 before, prosecutors said, they could carry out a trio of suicide bombings in Manhattan. Najibullah Zazi, a former Denver airport shuttle driver, and Zarein Ahmedzay have pleaded guilty and admitted planning to detonate homemade bombs on the subway during rush hour.

A third man, Adis Medunjanin, awaits trial. Prosecutors added new terrorism charges against him Wednesday.

There was no immediate response to a phone message left with Medunjanin's attorney.

After 9/11, Shukrijumah, 34, was seen as one of al-Qaida's best chances to attack inside the U.S. or Europe, captured terrorist Abu Zubaydah told U.S. authorities. Shukrijumah studied at a community college in Florida but when the FBI showed up to arrest him as a material witness to a terrorism case in 2003, he already had left the country.

In 2004, then-Attorney General John Ashcroft called Shukrijumah a "clear and present danger" to the United States. The U.S. is offering a $5 million reward for information leading to his capture.

The new indictment charging a conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction alleges that Shukrijumah and Ahmad recruited Zazi, Ahmedzay and Medunjanin in 2008 to receive training from al-Qaida in the Waziristan region of Pakistan.

Once the three former high school classmates from Queens returned to the United States in early 2009, it adds, Ahmad traded coded e-mail messages with both Zazi and Naseer, who was part of a Manchester, England-based cell.

Prosecutors say in one message, Naseer told Ahmad he was planning a large "wedding" — code for attack. Likewise, Zazi e-mailed Ahmad that "the marriage is ready" shortly before he drove from Colorado to New York City carrying bomb-making components in September 2009, they add.

In a search of the British suspects' homes, investigators say they found large amounts of flour and oil, and surveillance photos and maps of Manchester on the walls.

Zazi, who was under FBI surveillance, was arrested after abandoning the plan and fleeing back to Colorado. Naseer is in custody in United Kingdom on terrorism charges; Rehman was deported to Pakistan.

The unsealing of the new indictment falls on the fifth anniversary to a suicide attack on London's transit system that killed 52 commuters.

——

Apuzzo reported from Washington.

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
You May Also Like

Chinese Editorial: US Soldiers 'Not Worth Anything'

Friday, 18 Apr 2014 13:51 PM

A Chinese editorial criticized the U.S. military, according to The Washington Times.  . . .

LIGNET: Putin Moving Toward Checkmate in Eastern Ukraine

Friday, 18 Apr 2014 13:32 PM

The four-power deal regarding Ukraine that concluded Thursday in Geneva gave hope to some for a de-escalation of the cri . . .

Trump Donates to Ted Cruz PAC

Friday, 18 Apr 2014 13:27 PM

Real estate mogul and entertainment personality Donald Trump gave $5,000 to Sen. Ted Cruz's leadership PAC in January, a . . .

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved