Tags: US | NKorea | diplomacy

Freed US Veteran Says NKorea 'Confession' Made Under Duress

Monday, 09 Dec 2013 08:07 PM

 

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

A U.S. Korean war veteran held for over a month in North Korea said Monday that a video "confession" released during his detention was made under duress.

Eighty-five year-old Merrill Newman, who was released last week and is now back home in California, said he was warned that he could be jailed for 15 years for spying if he did not cooperate.

Newman, who was on a guided tourist trip to the reclusive state, added that he believes North Korean authorities misunderstood his "curiosity as something more sinister" when he asked about North Korean war veterans.

The U.S. retiree was plucked off a plane on October 26 as he was leaving Pyongyang following a tourist visit. He was eventually freed and arrived back in California on Saturday.

He said a video "confession" was written for him by a non-native English speaker, adding that he emphasized the mistakes when he read it out, so that his family and others would know they were not his own words.

"Anyone who has read the text of it or who has seen the video of me reading it knows that the words were not mine and were not delivered voluntarily," he said in a statement.

"Anyone who knows me knows that I could not have done the things they had me 'confess' to."

And he said: "To demonstrate that I was reading the document under some duress, I did my best to read the 'confession' in a way that emphasized the bad grammar and strange language that the North Koreans had crafted for me to say.

"I hope that came across to all who saw the video," he added.

Regarding why he was detained, he said he had concluded that, "for the North Korean regime, the Korean War isn't over and that even innocent remarks about the war can cause big problems if you are a foreigner."

His mistake, he believes, was to ask to visit the area of Mount Kuwol where he had served during the Korean War, and then asked North Korean authorities if any veterans from that area were still alive.

"I innocently asked my North Korean guides whether some of those who fought in the war in the Mt. Kuwol area might still be alive, and expressed an interest in possibly meeting them if they were," he said.

"The North Koreans seem to have misinterpreted my curiosity as something more sinister.

"It is now clear to me the North Koreans still feel much more anger about the war than I realized. With the benefit of hindsight I should have been more sensitive to that," he added.

© AFP 2014

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Suicide Bomber Kills Five in Attack on British Embassy Car in Kabul

Thursday, 27 Nov 2014 07:49 AM

A suicide bomber attacked a British embassy vehicle in the Afghan capital on Thursday, killing five people, including on . . .

US Journalist, a Qaida Hostage, Was Target of SEAL Raid

Thursday, 27 Nov 2014 07:23 AM

A Navy SEAL raid into Yemen this week to rescue an American journalist held hostage by al-Qaida succeeded in liberating  . . .

Twitter to Track Which Apps Its Users Have

Wednesday, 26 Nov 2014 22:22 PM

If you use Twitter on your cellphone, the social media site will soon begin tracking which apps you use unless you activ . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved