Tags: US | Libya | Military

Coalition Extending No Fly Zone over Libya

Monday, 21 Mar 2011 05:01 PM

 

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
    A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

WASHINGTON (AP) — International forces continued air strikes against Libya on Monday, moving to expand the UN-approved no-fly zone after turning back government troops near the eastern rebel strong of Benghazi, the U.S. commander in the region said.

A coalition of nations was trying to extend the zone southward and westward, eventually to the capital, Tripoli, said Gen. Carter Ham, head of U.S. Africa Command.

"With the growing capabilities of the coalition, I anticipate the no-fly zone will soon extend to Brega, Misurata, and then to Tripoli," he told Pentagon reporters in a video conference from his headquarters in Germany.

He said that would cover "about 1,000 kilometers, so it's a pretty wide area."

In the midday news conference, Ham said that over the previous 24 hours, U.S. and British forces launched 12 Tomahawk land attack missiles, targeting regime command-and-control facilities, a missile facility, and a re-attacking an air defense site which had previously been attacked.

The strikes followed a weekend of punishing air attacks aimed at preventing Moammar Gadhafi's forces from killing civilians seeking his ouster.

"Air attacks have succeeded in stopping regime ground forces from advancing to Benghazi, and we are now seeing ground forces moving southward from Benghazi," Ham said. "Through a variety of reports, we know that regime ground forces that were in the vicinity of Benghazi now possess little will or capability to resume offensive operations."

Ham said he has little indication of the whereabouts of Ghadafi, and that locating or attacking him is not a mission of the coalition military forces. He said, however, that the possibility of Gadhafi using surrogates to launch a terrorist attack on the U.S. or Europe is "a very, very legitimate concern."

He said the U.S. already is taking a smaller role in the mission. Whereas about 50 percent of the approximately 60 air missions flown on Sunday were by U.S. pilots, the "overwhelming" share were by non-U.S. pilots on Monday, he said.

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

State Dept.'s Nuland to Newsmax: Sanctions Reined Putin In

Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 22:10 PM

Without the tough sanctions the U.S. and its allies placed on Russia last year and the faltering Russian economy, Vladim . . .

Attkisson: CDC Not Telling Public About Possible Ebola Cases

Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 23:40 PM

The government is not telling the public about all the possible cases of Ebola it is monitoring in the United States, sa . . .

Atlanta US Attorney Yates Tapped for Deputy AG

Sunday, 21 Dec 2014 17:46 PM

President Barack Obama is preparing to nominate the top federal prosecutor in Atlanta to the No. 2 position at the Justi . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved