Tags: US | Guantanamo | Repeaters

Pentagon: More Returning to Fight After Gitmo

Wednesday, 06 Jan 2010 04:47 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

More of the terror suspects released from the Guantanamo Bay prison are returning to the fight, the Pentagon said Wednesday.

A new report shows the recidivism rate among former suspects released from the U.S. prison in Cuba continues its upward trend, Defense Department press secretary Geoff Morrell said. He did not release the figures, but he said officials are working to declassify the latest report so the rate can be made public.

The rate of those returning to militancy was first reported early last year to be 11 percent. In April it was 14 percent.

Morrell said he believes the numbers are rising because the majority of prisoners have been released and officials are down to the most difficult cases.

"There is no foolproof answer in this realm. That's what makes this so difficult," he told reporters at a Pentagon news conference.

While President Barack Obama said Tuesday he still plans to close the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Morrell suggested plans were on hold. Congress has blocked funding for the endeavor and, under significant political pressure, Obama has said he won't release any more detainees to Yemen because of al-Qaida's grip on that nation.

"We are right now left without either the money or the authority to move detainees from Guantanamo Bay," Morrell said.

Nearly half of the remaining 198 detainees at Guantanamo Bay are from Yemen. U.S. officials believe two Saudis released from Guantanamo, one in 2006 and the other in 2007, may have played significant roles in al-Qaida activities in Yemen.

Obama said Tuesday that no more Guantanamo Bay detainees will be sent to Yemen for now, as his administration ratcheted up security measures after a failed Christmas terror plot to destroy a U.S.-bound airliner.

The attack on a jet arriving in Detroit has heightened concerns about Yemen because the suspect, a 23-year-old Nigerian passenger, claimed to be acting on instructions from al-Qaida operatives in Yemen.

Just days before the incident, the Obama administration had sent six men held at the Guantanamo Bay detention center back to Yemen.

Republicans and an increasing number of Democrats in Congress called in recent days on the administration to stop Guantanamo transfers to Yemen in light of the attack.

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Pentagon: ISIS Fight Has Cost $424 Million Since August

Tuesday, 21 Oct 2014 21:04 PM

The United States has spent about $424 million fighting the Islamic State (ISIS) since an air campaign against the terro . . .

Former Washington Post Editor Ben Bradlee Dies at 93

Tuesday, 21 Oct 2014 20:10 PM

Former Washington Post editor Ben Bradlee, who oversaw the paper's coverage of the Watergate scandal that toppled Presid . . .

GOP: Obama Trying to Avoid Admitting Ebola Travel Ban Would Work

Tuesday, 21 Oct 2014 20:06 PM

Republicans on Tuesday slammed the latest travel restrictions by the Obama administration during the Ebola crisis, with  . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved