A federal judge has ordered the release of a Guantanamo Bay detainee imprisoned at the island facility for more than 8 1/2 years.
U.S. District Judge Henry Kennedy says the Obama administration has failed to show that the Yemeni man was part of al-Qaida or an associated force.
The government alleged that an al-Qaida recruiter encouraged the man to go to Afghanistan to receive military training. The detainee, Adnan Farhan Abd Al Latif, says he went to the region after being promised free medical care for head injuries suffered in a car accident in his home country.
The judge's previously secret opinion was released Monday, with some sections blacked out. Justice Department spokesman Dean Boyd said the ruling was under review.
© Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.