The House Oversight and Government Reform Committee is pressing for the release of the complete background file on Navy Yard shooter Aaron Alexis, saying the public deserves to know everything that's in it.
"The committee is seeking an unredacted copy of his background investigation file to put an end to the ambiguity," Texas Republican Rep. Blake Farenthold, who chairs the panel's Federal Workforce Subcommittee, told The Washington Times Wednesday
in a statement.
Farenthold and committee Chairman Darrell Issa of California wrote Wednesday to the Office of Personnel Management asking that committee investigators be given access to everything in the file to learn more about the "unacceptable breach of security" that allowed Alexis, who had a documented history of mental and criminal issues, to obtain a security clearance that allowed him access to the Navy Yard.
"Typically, these failures result from a combination of human error, bad processes and rules, and lack of oversight of employees and contractors," Farenthold said in his statement to the Times. "I am also concerned with inadequate use of modern technology in the screening process. The committee intends to thoroughly investigate the system and find solutions to keep people safe."
The FBI has released some information from the files, including disclosures that indicate the background and follow-up checks on Alexis may not have been as thorough as they could have been.
A chilling video of Alexis, a Navy veteran, entering Building 197 at the Navy Yard and stalking its hallways with a shotgun, also has been released.
Story continues below video.
The FBI revealed Wednesday that Alexis, who was killed in a shootout with police, left an electronic note saying that he was being subjected to an "ultra low frequency attack." In the note, according to The Los Angeles Times,
Alexis wrote and "[this is] what I've been subject to for the last 3 months, and to be perfectly honest that is what has driven me to this."
Alexis, who became a contractor after leaving the Navy, was given his security clearance
by the contractor USIS, the same firm that approved National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden's access to classified information.
Merton Miller, associate director of investigations at the Office Personnel Management, said last week that his agency's involvement with Alexis' security clearance "ended when we submitted the case to the Department of Defense (DoD) for adjudication in December 2007.
"DoD did not ask OPM for any additional investigative actions after it received the completed background investigation," the office said.
© 2013 Newsmax. All rights reserved.