Rep. Jason Chaffetz says only a small minority believe the Benghazi attack was fueled by an anti-Muslim video: former U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice and a New York Times reporter.
"The only ones that believe that are evidently Susan Rice and the author of this article, for a grand total of two people in this country," Chaffetz said Monday on Fox News Channel's "Hannity."
Rice was U.S. ambassador to the United Nations at the time, and appeared on all five Sunday-morning talk shows days later saying the attack was the result of a spontaneous street protest, much like protests that had happened in Egypt.
The Sept. 11, 2012, attack left U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans dead.
The debate over who was behind the Benghazi attack and why the United States was unprepared for it was rekindled over the weekend when The New York Times
published a story by reporter David Kirkpatrick saying the video was indeed the impetus.
Members of the House Intelligence Committee, including Democrat David Schiff, have said the attack was planned and was linked to al-Qaida. Kirkpatrick told CNN
on Monday that the truth is in the middle. The video did prompt the attack, but the attack was planned by local people.
Chaffetz told "Hannity" guest host Katie Pavlich that he went to Libya about three weeks after the attack and that no one he talked to about it brought up the video.
Neither has anyone else he has talked to, he said, including former AFRICON leader Gen. Carter Ham and the Accountability Review Board.
Chaffetz said the administration is not pursuing the Benghazi attackers with the same tenacity it used in hunting the Boston Marathon bombers earlier this year.
"These people are still out there," Chaffetz said of the Benghazi attackers. "Are they going to do it again? I worry that they might."
© 2014 Newsmax. All rights reserved.