Court Halts Quick Release of Some Pardoned

Wednesday, 11 Jan 2012 09:37 PM

 

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
    A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

JACKSON, Mississippi (AP) — A judge Wednesday temporarily blocked the release of 21 inmates who had been given pardons or medical release by Haley Barbour in one of his final acts as governor of Mississippi.

Judge Tomie Green issued an injunction late Wednesday at the request of Democratic Attorney General Jim Hood.

Hood said he believes Barbour might have violated the state constitution by pardoning some inmates who failed to give sufficient public notice that they were seeking to have their records cleared.

Barbour said in a statement Wednesday, a day after leaving office, that he believes people have misunderstood why he gave reprieves to more than 200 inmates. Most received full pardons, while others received suspended sentences because of medical conditions.

"The pardons were intended to allow them to find gainful employment or acquire professional licenses as well as hunt and vote," Barbour said. "My decision about clemency was based upon the recommendation of the Parole Board in more than 90 percent of the cases."

Section 124 of the Mississippi Constitution says any inmate seeking a pardon must publish notice about his intentions. Before the governor can grant it, the notice must appear 30 days in a newspaper in or near the county where the person was convicted.

Hood said it's not clear whether all the inmates pardoned by Barbour met the publication requirement, and that he believes it's likely that some did not.

"It's unfortunate Gov. Barbour didn't read the constitution," Hood said Wednesday.

Mississippi Department of Corrections spokeswoman Suzanne Singletary told The Associated Press that five inmates let out over the weekend are the only ones on Barbour's list who had been released as of Wednesday evening. She said about 21 inmates who received pardons or early release were still waiting to get out. Processing paperwork generally takes several days because, among other things, the department has to give victims 48 hours' notice before an inmate is released.

Neither Barbour spokeswoman Laura Hipp nor Barbour's lead staff attorney, Amanda Jones Tollison, responded to questions about whether Barbour's staff verified that pardoned inmates had met the publication requirement.

Each of the five inmates released this past weekend had worked as a trusty at the Governor's Mansion. They are David Gatlin, convicted of killing his estranged wife in 1993; Joseph Ozment, convicted in 1994 of killing a man during a robbery; Anthony McCray, convicted in 2001 of killing his wife; Charles Hooker, sentenced to life in 1992 for murder; and Nathan Kern, sentenced to life in 1982 for burglary after at least two prior convictions.

Relatives of the killers' victims said they were outraged by the release, and some said they're worried for their own safety.

___

Associated Press writer Jeff Amy contributed to this report.

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  Comment  |
   Contact  |
  Print   |
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Steve Lonegan: Donors Want to Know Where Jeb Bush Stands

Friday, 19 Dec 2014 12:31 PM

Lonegan appeared Friday on Newsmax TV’s “America’ Forum” where he discussed the GOP’s 2016 presidential race and critici . . .

Dershowitz, Hayden: Release 'Interview' for Free, Make Hackers Pay 'Heavy Consequence'

Friday, 19 Dec 2014 12:20 PM

Harvard law professor Alan Dershowitz and former CIA Director Michael Hayden, on Newsmax TV on Friday, agreed that the S . . .

FBI Blames NKorea For Sony Hacking: 'Act of Intimidation'

Friday, 19 Dec 2014 11:18 AM

The cyber-terrorists behind the attack on Sony Pictures Entertainment sent a message to studio execs late Thursday givin . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved