Tags: EU | Britain | Phone | Hacking

Police: Someone Sabotaging UK Newspaper Inquiry

Sunday, 10 Jul 2011 01:49 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

LONDON — British police said Monday that they believe someone is trying to sabotage its investigation into the widening phone hacking scandal by leaking distracting details of the inquiry to the media.

In an unusual statement, Scotland Yard said that a story that appeared on the front page of London's Evening Standard — which claimed that police had sold personal details about the queen and her closest aides — was "part of a deliberate campaign to undermine the investigation into the alleged payments by corrupt journalists to corrupt police officers and divert attention from elsewhere."

The British press has furiously reporting allegations journalists at the News of the World tabloid hacked into phones of young murder victims, families of dead servicemen and terrorism victims.

The scandal, which prompted Rupert Murdoch's News International to close down the tabloid, has since spread to take in allegations that police were given bribes for tips and other information.

The Evening Standard's piece said that bosses at News Corp., News International's parent company, discovered a series of e-mails which indicated that employees had been making corrupt payments to members of Scotland Yard's royal protection officers in return for personal details about the monarch's entourage.

The Evening Standard cited "sources" without saying who the sources were or how they would be in a position to know.

Scotland Yard has declined to specifically address the claims, but in a statement directly referencing the Standard's story they said that they were "extremely concerned and disappointed that the continuous release of selected information — that is only known by a small number of people — could have a significant impact on the corruption investigation."

The British press has been in a feeding frenzy over allegations journalists at the News of the World tabloid paid police for information and hacked into phones of young murder victims, families of dead servicemen and terrorism victims.

The scandal prompted Rupert Murdoch's News International to close down the tabloid.

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
You May Also Like

Official: Israel Rejects Ceasefire Plan

Friday, 25 Jul 2014 15:02 PM

Israel rejected international proposals for a ceasefire in its fight against Islamist militants in Gaza on Friday, but i . . .

Minuteman Project's Gilchrist: This Is a 'Politically-Inspired Invasion'

Friday, 25 Jul 2014 14:38 PM

Religious and political organizations have banded together to "pierce" America’s immigration system for "religious, poli . . .

Rand Paul Reaches Out to Minority Voters With Equality Speech

Friday, 25 Jul 2014 14:07 PM

U.S. Senator Rand Paul sought to broaden his reach beyond core Republican voters with a speech to the National Urban Lea . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved