Tags: EU | Britain | Lockerbie

US Officials Warned Scotland Over Al-Megrahi

Monday, 26 Jul 2010 02:00 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

A newly released letter shows that worried U.S. officials warned Scottish authorities that scenes of jubilation in Tripoli over the release of the Lockerbie bomber would be damaging, and asked that Abdel Baset al-Megrahi not be allowed to leave Scotland.

A 2009 letter from Richard LeBaron, the charge d'affaires at the U.S. Embassy in London, to Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond was released Monday.

It sets out American opposition to the release. It says even release on compassionate grounds because of al-Megrahi's cancer diagnosis would be more "severely undercut the longer he is free before his actual death."

Al-Megrahi was released by Scottish authorities last August. He returned to Libya where he is receiving treatment for terminal prostate cancer.

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Jimmy Carter: I Would Have Beaten Reagan if I Had Been More 'Manly'

Wednesday, 01 Oct 2014 19:18 PM

Former President Jimmy Carter, who turned 90 Wednesday, says he would have been beaten Ronald Reagan and been re-elected . . .

Texas Appeals Court Upholds DeLay Reversal

Wednesday, 01 Oct 2014 18:26 PM

The highest criminal court in Texas refused Wednesday to reinstate two money-laundering convictions against former U.S.  . . .

Somali Jailed for 30 Years Over Christmas Bomb Plot

Wednesday, 01 Oct 2014 17:48 PM

A court jailed a Somali-U.S. man for 30 years on Wednesday for plotting to blow up a crowded Christmas tree ceremony att . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved