Tunisia to Allow FBI Access to Benghazi Suspect

Friday, 02 Nov 2012 08:31 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
Authorities in Tunisia have agreed to allow FBI investigators access to a detained Islamic militant suspected of playing a role in the Sept. 11 attacks on U.S. diplomatic facilities in Benghazi, Libya, U.S. officials said on Friday.

Under an arrangement worked out between Tunisian and U.S. officials, American investigators will be allowed to interview Ali Ani al Harzi under the supervision of Tunisian officials.

The arrangement was first made public in a written statement issued on Friday by two Republican U.S. senators, Saxby Chambliss, vice chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, and Lindsey Graham, a senior member of the Senate Armed Services Committee.

The senators said that while it was "unfortunate" that it had taken some time for the agreement to be reached, "allowing American investigators in person access will make the interview more meaningful and is a welcome breakthrough in our efforts to find the perpetrators to the Benghazi ... attacks."

Earlier this week, Graham wrote to the Tunisian government advising them how important it was to him and other U.S. legislators for al Harzi to be made available to U.S. investigators. Meanwhile, Chambliss urged the FBI to seek access to al Harzi and any other individuals who might be detained in connection with the attacks.

A U.S. government source said it was possible that the senators' pressure may have helped convince the Tunisians to allow FBI investigators to interview al Harzi, who was initially arrested in Turkey in October but later sent back by Turkish authorities to his native Tunisia.

U.S. sources have said that al Harzi is suspected of participating in the Benghazi attacks in which Chris Stevens, the U.S. Ambassador to Libya, and three other U.S. officials were killed. His precise role in the attacks was unclear, the officials said, and there was no proof he was a leader in the attacks.

The Daily Beast news website reported on Oct. 23 that shortly after the Benghazi attacks began, al Harzi posted an update about the fighting on an unspecified social media site. The Daily Beast said this was one of the first clues for U.S. intelligence agencies seeking to find out who was behind the violence.

© 2014 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
You May Also Like

Delay Won't Quell 2014 Wrangling over Keystone XL

Saturday, 19 Apr 2014 08:12 AM

Democrats sweating this year's elections may be hoping that the Obama administration's latest delay to the proposed Keys . . .

Obamacare Website Vulnerable to Heartbleed Security Flaw

Saturday, 19 Apr 2014 07:16 AM

People who have accounts on the enrollment website for President Barack Obama's signature healthcare law are being told  . . .

Russia Promises Support to Ending Ukraine Crisis

Saturday, 19 Apr 2014 07:13 AM

Russia's foreign ministry promised it would offer strong assistance to Ukraine to overcome its crisis, but emphasized th . . .

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved