Yemen's Main Oil Pipeline Attacked; Pumping Stopped

Friday, 24 May 2013 07:22 AM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

SANAA, Yemen — Attackers blew up Yemen's main oil export pipeline on Friday, halting the flow of crude, the government and industry sources said.

"Subversive elements" in Serwah in central Maarib province had blown up the pipeline, which leads to the Red Sea, at dawn on Friday, the Defense Ministry said in a statement.

The Arabian Peninsula state, which relies on crude exports to replenish its reserves and finance up to 70 percent of budget spending, has suffered frequent bombings of its main oil pipeline since an uprising broke out in 2011.

Sabotage of oil pipelines and transmission towers in Maarib had increased dramatically in recent days, the ministry said.

The pipeline had been pumping around 125,000 barrels per day (bpd), an industry source told Reuters.

Yemen's stability is a priority for the United States and its Gulf Arab allies because of its strategic position next to oil exporter Saudi Arabia and shipping lanes, and because is home to one of al-Qaida's most active wings.

© 2014 Thomson/Reuters. All rights reserved.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
You May Also Like

Iran Says it Watered Down, Converted Enriched Uranium

Sunday, 20 Apr 2014 11:41 AM

Iran said on Saturday it had completed watering down and converting more than 440 pounds of enriched uranium under a dea . . .

Syria's Assad Visits Recaptured Christian Village

Sunday, 20 Apr 2014 11:05 AM

Syria's president marked Easter with a tour Sunday of an ancient Christian village recently recaptured by his forces, st . . .

Kuwait Shuts Papers for Breaking 'Coup Tape' Media Blackout

Sunday, 20 Apr 2014 10:22 AM

A Kuwaiti judge Sunday ordered two newspapers to close for two weeks for breaking a news blackout on a videotape alleged . . .

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved