Obama Getting a Wake-Up Call

Monday, 01 Nov 2010 08:06 AM

By Jon Friedman

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
President Barack Obama can no longer laugh away the state of the Democratic Party, as he tried to do glibly on "The Daily Show."

He can afford to be hopeful right now. To everyone who points at the incumbent and whispers, "another George H.W. Bush" and "another Jimmy Carter" — two one-term presidents in recent memory — I have a simple reply: Who's going to defeat Obama at the polls in 2012?

Ironically, the only individual I can think of is Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and, no, she ain't running.

It's logical to assume that the president can build the economy in the next two years. As of now, the momentum is on his side.

If he can harness the power coming out of Silicon Valley and get a handle on how to create jobs out of social networking, he'll be in dandy shape for the 2012 presidential debates.

You won't need a new James Carville to shriek, It's the economy, stupid! The president, who watched Sen. John McCain's campaign crumble along with the fortunes of the Wall Street establishment, knows well where his bread is buttered.

Obama's prospects hinge on creating jobs. He doesn't seem to face a serious challenger at the moment. He will be judged in two years on his first-term performance. That's it.

He has annoyed so many of the people who voted for him two years ago that he has used up his ample supply of goodwill from the left wing. He can't hope to get by on the strength of his charismatic smile, upbeat speeches or liberal sympathizers.

It must have astonished Obama to see that some of the most strident criticism so far has come from the left. We can understand the tea party enthusiasts coming down hard on the president's questionable policies and his understated victories. That's what they do.

If Obama were to get 99 percent of the vote, these nitpickers would carp, See? What happened to the other 1 percent?

It's American politics. For now, time is on Obama's side. But time has a way of getting away from a president. Jimmy Carter underestimated Ronald Reagan's popularity with born-again Republicans from the Midwest and the South.

Obama must like his chances as he surveys the GOP hopefuls as of now.

But he'd be wise not to take anything for granted.

Jon Friedman writes the Media Web column for MarketWatch.com. Click here  to read his latest column.

-

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
You May Also Like

2016 Coverage Should Focus on the Issues

Monday, 28 Jul 2014 08:59 AM

Which media agency will take the initiative in the coming 2 1/2 years to tell the American voters the truth and not trea . . .

Media Professionally Cover Malaysian Flight Tragedy

Monday, 21 Jul 2014 10:52 AM

The U.S. media actually covered the sad story of a downed Malaysian airplane in a sober, calm, professional way. . . .

Is Hillary Ready to Be President?

Monday, 14 Jul 2014 08:12 AM

Nobody with Obama’s charisma has emerged, in either political party. Victory appears to be hers for the taking, right? B . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved