Tags: king | obama | security | port | napolitano | dhs

Rep. King: Obama Cuts Threaten NYC Security

Monday, 17 May 2010 02:47 PM

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
Just weeks after the failed car bomb attempt on Times Square, Rep. Pete King says the Obama administration is dragging its feet on crucial anti-terrorism funds for New York City.

King, R-N.Y., the ranking member of the Homeland Security Committee, says that reductions to port and mass transit security grants slated for the Big Apple will make it more vulnerable to attack. He accused people from outside New York of being insensitive to the city's needs.

"The horror of 9/11 fortunately does not live with people in other parts of the country," he said in an interview Monday on WABC radio, according to The Hill. "We are number one on the terrorist target list."

The debate over terror funding has pitted several members of New York's congressional delegation against the Obama administration.

Sen. Charles Schumer (D) and Rep. Anthony Weiner (D) have vocally criticized the decision to cut the port security grant by 25 percent and the mass transit security grant by 27 percent. The administration has said they are part of across-the-board cuts at DHS.

Napolitano penned a letter on Friday to 16 members of the Empire State's congressional delegation, including King, that defended the decision to cut the security grants.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has said that, overall, New York has received more anti-terror funding than it did during the Bush administration and that over $275 million slated for port and transit security in New York since 2006 has not been drawn down and none has been spent from last year.

"In her letter to me very late Friday afternoon, Secretary Napolitano seemed to be accusing New York of sitting on piles of cash from past homeland security grant awards instead of spending the money to protect the city from terrorist attack," King said in a statement. "Her accusation is ludicrous. As the [Government Accountability Office] report shows, Secretary Napolitano and her department bear the responsibility for the fact that transit agencies in New York and elsewhere are unable to spend much of their mass transit security grant money. She is blaming New York for a problem that lies at her own feet."

Read the entire story in The Hill

-

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Mali's Islamists Withdraw Cease-Fire Pledge

Friday, 04 Jan 2013 13:06 PM

Tens of thousands of Fatah supporters rallied in the Hamas stronghold of Gaza on Friday for the first time since they we . . .

Fmr. CIA Director Hayden: Iran Nuclear Crisis Gets 'Scarier'

Tuesday, 17 Jul 2012 18:11 PM

 . . .

Join Fmr. CIA Director for Special Iran Briefing, Assess the Danger

Friday, 13 Jul 2012 12:27 PM

 . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved