Spy Chief Clapper: No More Blabbing Secrets

Monday, 30 Aug 2010 08:18 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink
WASHINGTON – The U.S. intelligence chief warned spy agencies against "blabbing secrets" to the media, saying that employees should be seen but not heard.

In a blunt memo, James Clapper, the new national intelligence director, scolded staff members about leaks that appeared in recent news reports, saying that such breaches are a "serious matter."

"I am concerned that recent leaks regarding our work have received prominent attention in the media," he said in the memo obtained by AFP.

He did not say which reports he was referring to, but U.S. newspapers recently quoted unnamed officials about proposed drone CIA operations in Yemen and Afghan officials allegedly on the spy agency's payroll.

Top U.S. officials also were stunned in July by the release of tens of thousands of secret files on the war in Afghanistan, posted on the WikiLeaks website.

There are "established procedures for authorized officers to interact with the media," Clapper wrote.

But for other personnel, passing on classified information without approval "is both a serious matter and a diversion from the critical tasks we face.

"In other words, blabbing secrets to the media is not 'in' as far as I'm concerned."

Clapper recalled that, when President Barack Obama nominated him to the intelligence director's position, "I said that people in the intelligence business should be like my grandchildren — seen but not heard."

The Obama administration has adopted a tough line against leaks, filing charges against those suspected of disclosing classified information.

But news reporting suggests government officials continue to reveal secret details to journalists in an attempt to shape policy and undermine rival agencies.

The memo was the latest sign "that the administration remains vexed by leaks," said Steven Aftergood of the Federation of American Scientists, who writes a blog on government secrecy.

"But the memo itself is just a reminder, and doesn't seem to represent a new policy. The pending prosecutions send a more ominous signal," he told AFP in an e-mail.

Last week, the Justice Department unveiled an indictment against a State Department contractor, Stephen Jin-Woo Kim, for allegedly passing on defense information. Kim has pleaded not guilty.

The case reportedly involves a 2009 intelligence assessment given to Fox News, saying that North Korea was likely to respond to U.N. sanctions by launching another nuclear test.

In July, U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates also gave a stern warning to the Pentagon workforce over the media, saying those who violated the law would be prosecuted.

© AFP 2014

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Mali's Islamists Withdraw Cease-Fire Pledge

Friday, 04 Jan 2013 13:06 PM

Tens of thousands of Fatah supporters rallied in the Hamas stronghold of Gaza on Friday for the first time since they we . . .

Fmr. CIA Director Hayden: Iran Nuclear Crisis Gets 'Scarier'

Tuesday, 17 Jul 2012 18:11 PM

 . . .

Join Fmr. CIA Director for Special Iran Briefing, Assess the Danger

Friday, 13 Jul 2012 12:27 PM

 . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved