Tags: cain | unions | walker | obama | wisconsin

Cain: Obama's Backing of Unions 'Losing Proposition'

Monday, 21 Feb 2011 08:07 PM

By Hiram Reisner

Atlanta talk radio host Herman Cain, a potential 2012 GOP presidential candidate, says as the American public’s backing of Wisconsin’s protesting unions wanes, President Barack Obama’s unabashed support of their demands is increasingly a “losing proposition.”

obama,unions,walker,cain“I believe that the sentiment on the part of the American people for the unions is going down,” Cain Monday told Fox News’ Stuart Varney. “The fact is, what Gov. [Scott] Walker has proposed is that they do give up their right to collectively bargain for benefits, but not their wages. Why? Benefits represent on average 46 percent of their total package. Gov. Walker inherited a $137 million deficit for this year, and if he does not do anything, it’s going to be $3.6 billion over the next two years.

“So they are totally in denial about the severity of the problem,” said Cain, who recently formed a presidential campaign exploratory committee. “So the more the American public finds out the facts associated with Gov. Walker’s proposal, the less the sentiment on behalf of the unions is with the American public.”

Varney asked whether President Barack Obama’s backing of the unions’ positions is going to hurt his political standing.

“It is a losing proposition for him,” Cain said. “Unions represent approximately 10 to 12 percent of the workforce: What about the rest of us 88 percent? What are we, chopped liver?

“You know, all the president’s support going behind the unions – we’ve always known that he is very pro-union – but this is just blatant favoring one group over another,” he continued. “I believe this is a bad political mistake on the part of the president. You still have a lot of independent voters out there, you still have a lot of people in that 88 percent or 90 percent that I am talking about, that do not like that the president is so outwardly favoring the unions in this particular case, especially since the state is broke.”

© 2015 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Mali's Islamists Withdraw Cease-Fire Pledge

Friday, 04 Jan 2013 13:06 PM

Tens of thousands of Fatah supporters rallied in the Hamas stronghold of Gaza on Friday for the first time since they we . . .

Fmr. CIA Director Hayden: Iran Nuclear Crisis Gets 'Scarier'

Tuesday, 17 Jul 2012 18:11 PM

 . . .

Join Fmr. CIA Director for Special Iran Briefing, Assess the Danger

Friday, 13 Jul 2012 12:27 PM

 . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, Newsmax Health, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, and Newsmax World are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved