Tags: US | US | Afghanistan

Lawmakers Grill Pentagon Chief On Afghanistan

Wednesday, 16 Jun 2010 01:58 PM

 

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
|  A   A  
  Copy Shortlink

Skeptical lawmakers grilled top civilian and military leaders Wednesday about the war in Afghanistan, questioning the pace of progress and escalating cost of the conflict.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates challenged what he said was an overly negative "narrative" that has circulated among officials and the media in Washington in the last week, insisting at a Senate budget hearing that progress is being made.

Gates spoke after Gen. David Petraeus tried to reassure worried lawmakers at a separate hearing that there will be an orderly withdrawal of troops from the war in Afghanistan — not a rush for the exits starting July 2011.

Democratic Sen. Patty Murray of Washington told Gates she was concerned about rising casualties.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The commander of U.S. forces in the Mideast tried to reassure worried lawmakers Wednesday that there will be an orderly withdrawal of troops from the war in Afghanistan — not a rush for the exits starting July next year.

At a Senate hearing, Republican lawmakers questioned President Barack Obama's plan to start withdrawal of U.S. forces in July 2011. Senators complained that Afghans see that as the date they will be abandoned by the U.S.

"We are sounding an uncertain trumpet" about America's commitment to Afghanistan, said Republican Arizona Sen. John McCain.

Gen. David Petraeus said setting the July date was meant partly to pressure the Afghan government to work harder to provide services and reduce corruption, crucial to the military effort to defeat the insurgents.

Seated next to Petraeus, U.S. Department of Defense under secretary Michele Flournoy said Obama hasn't set a timeline for exactly how many troops will come home at any given point because the president believes that will depend on progress in the war.

Flournoy said the expectation is that the there will, indeed, be enough progress against the insurgency by next July to begin "a responsible drawdown," but that the actual numbers and pace will be determined by how it's going.

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Share:
  Comment  |
   Contact Us  |
  Print  
  Copy Shortlink
Around the Web
Join the Newsmax Community
Please review Community Guidelines before posting a comment.
>> Register to share your comments with the community.
>> Login if you are already a member.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
Email:
Retype Email:
Country
Zip Code:
Privacy: We never share your email.
 
Hot Topics
Follow Newsmax
Like us
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Add us
on Google Plus
Around the Web
Top Stories
You May Also Like

Mali's Islamists Withdraw Cease-Fire Pledge

Friday, 04 Jan 2013 13:06 PM

Tens of thousands of Fatah supporters rallied in the Hamas stronghold of Gaza on Friday for the first time since they we . . .

Fmr. CIA Director Hayden: Iran Nuclear Crisis Gets 'Scarier'

Tuesday, 17 Jul 2012 18:11 PM

 . . .

Join Fmr. CIA Director for Special Iran Briefing, Assess the Danger

Friday, 13 Jul 2012 12:27 PM

 . . .

Most Commented

Newsmax, Moneynews, and Independent. American. are registered trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc. Newsmax TV, NewsmaxWorld, NewsmaxHealth, are trademarks of Newsmax Media, Inc.

 
NEWSMAX.COM
America's News Page
©  Newsmax Media, Inc.
All Rights Reserved