The Obama administration must strive to put China’s communist government in the “trash can of history,” Rep. Thad McCotter, R-Mich., tells Newsmax.TV. The United States must regain control of its relationship with the Asian behemoth, which violates trade agreements and spies on America, McCotter insists.
The congressman, whose new book, “Seize Freedom!: American Truths and Renewal in a Chaotic Age,” includes a chapter on China as a strategic threat, said the Chinese refer to the United States as their strategic rival and their enemy.
Story continues below video.
“The United States has to act accordingly, especially with our Pacific allies to make sure they are contained, to make sure that freedom does come through such citizen-based operations as the Jasmine Revolution so that this communist government can be put in the trash can of history with others and the Chinese people can be free,” said McCotter, chairman of the House Republican Policy Committee.
On the home front, McCotter said the federal government should just stay out of the volatile situation in Wisconsin, where Republican Gov. Scott Walker is trying to limit the collective-bargaining rights of public employee unions.
Walker’s move has sparked massive protests, and Democratic senators paralyzed government when they fled the state to avoid voting on the issue.
As a “Federalist, I think that’s up to the people of Wisconsin and the people of the other 49 states to make that determination.”
Nonetheless, McCotter contends that unions are on the wrong side of history. In the age of globalization, the highly vertical, highly bureaucratized and centralized corporate model is becoming horizontal and consumer driven, he explained and predicted the same thing will happen to highly centralized, bureaucratized, vertical form of government we inherited from LBJ and others.
“So what the individual states, as laboratories of democracy, as sovereign states themselves, have to do is determine how they are going to proceed to get to a citizen-driven government,” he said. “I think, as a federal elected official, it’s not my place to tell the people of Wisconsin what to do.”
On other topics, McCotter said:
- That House Republicans’ $61 billion in budget cuts was a beginning and that legislators “have to start the triage for the taxpayers.”
- That Democrats have shown they do not want to shut down government but also have shown they don’t mind shutting it down to defend an interest.
- That Rep. Mike Capuano, D-Mass., was not inciting violence when commented on the Wisconsin protests by saying sometimes it’s necessary to get on the streets and “get a little bloody.” “Remember that euphemisms have been in American politics forever and that we shouldn’t try to stifle the free and spirited public debate that occurs,” McCotter said.
- That President Obama “has to execute the laws of the land” even if he disagrees with them, referring to the administration’s decision to stop defending the Defense of Marriage Act in legal challenges.
- That the various legal battles over Obamacare may become moot because House Republicans plan to repeal it and replace it with something better. “You cannot simply allow the government to whatever it wants under the guise of interstate commerce.”
: To get Thad McCotter’s book “Seize Freedom!: American Truths and Renewal in a Chaotic Age,” at a good price — Click Here Now
© 2016 Newsmax. All rights reserved.